Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gen 2 steering linkage... excessive play? confused :S

Hi all,

Finally got round to having a proper look at my steering after all the suspension work I've been doing. Looks like the main rod is able to rotate slightly, meaning even when the steering wheel is locked in place there is significant play in each wheel meaning the tracking is adjusted, but as soon as you push a wheel or rock the suspension it all goes out again. Looking at the ball joints it looks like that rotation is permitted mechanically so I guess I am missing something.....

Are the pitman/steering box arm joints ball joints or just rotational in 1 plane?anyone see this before?anyone nearby who could pop over in a gen2 so I can compare?anyone got a decent pic I can compare against?
    Any help much appreciated!

Just an extra bit of info. Both track rod ends on both sides were only recently replaced and the is no play in the steering column/steering box or idler arm to chassis, just seems to be the main rod rotating on the ball joints in the end of the arms...
    Last edited by andy_enuff; 10 November 2012, 10:44.
    ======
    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

If its rotational its ok but no up down or sidewards play.

Comment

It's odd, it means they can't get the tracking right. They get it to 1.2 each side, pull the suspension down and let go and it ends up at 4.1/6.2 or another random setting. I did notice the minutest amount of left right play last night (maybe .5 mm) in the steering box arm but the steering wheel wasn't locked

Could someone post a pic of what the linkage should look like so I can compare my reassembly? Pretty convinced you can only do it one way tho!
      ======
      Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Working...
      X