Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/S Door Mirror Problem

Hi all,
    Well this is my 1st post on this forum, but I have learnt a lot and had fun in just reading all the past threads.
    The model that i run is a 1996 3rd Gen 3.0td.
    Well last week,as normal practice both my wife and i always fold on the door mirrors when we park up, so my wife was out and about so when she parked up she folded the door as normal to protect the mirrors.
    The problem was when she unfolded the mirrors the off side one went slack and basically is was moving full forward and backwards with no resistance.
    So today i pulled the mirror apart by removing the glass by unscrewing the retaning screw underneath, and inside was a big circlip which by the looks of it pushes down on a washer and a spring to keep the mirror attached to the rest of the door mirror assembly. So after about 3 hrs of trying to get the circlip back on and it was getting dark i had to give up.
    So i am asking has anybody else had a issue with this as it must be able to go back on as you can get replacement covers so there has to be away of getting round this problem.
    I await your suggestions
    Cheers.......

I recently changed the glass on one of my mirrors, I found there was a hole in the underside of the mirror cover that allowed you to unscrew the mirror swivel part and remove it.

Also the whole mirror assembly is attached to the door with three bolts behind the small plastic panel with the tweeter on it. If you take the whole lot off at least you can mess with it indoors!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Surf Offside Door Mirror.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1255635

Thanks Cabbage for your reply.

Please see picture.

I dont have a problem in removing the full door mirror or just the glass, what it is is that the circlip, in picture is resting on the bottom of the cover, has somehow worked its way of the pin that the mirror and cover is attached to.
      So i am wondering how to go about compressing the spring and then placing the washer and circlip back into position.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Originally posted by wincy View Post
        So i am wondering how to go about compressing the spring and then placing the washer and circlip back into position.
        You remove the whole pivot mechanicm. Three screws under the pivot and the others in the mirror backing plate. I somehow think something has broken for the spring retainer and clip to have parted company with the shaft.

Nev

Comment

Working...
        X