Bleeding Brakes-literally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding Brakes-literally

Finally got my leaking half shaft fixed and after waiting a couple of weeks to be sure no more leaks I have just fitted new complete new shoes etc at the back have spent 5 hrs bleeding and adjusting all the braking system but still cannot get the pedal to go hard-I cant see a LSPV anywhere(its a 96 Gen 3) anyone got any ideas. I have put at least a litre of fluid through already.

Kinda interesting. If you haven't open the brake lines it wouldn't necessary to bleed. Anyway i had a leak on my brake system this year. I refilled and tried to bleed but same result what you had. At the end it turned out the main brake cylinder needs to be bled. Unbolt the two line on the side of the cylinder, hold your fingers agains the holes and get somebody to pump the brake pedal. Than bolt back the brakelines and bleed again all cylinder at the wheels from the furthest point (right rear wheel). Worked for me.

Comment

If you're bleeding the master cylinder, dont take the lines off completely. Just slacken them 1/2 turn, push pedal down, tighten up....rinse and repeat. Then bleed the wheel cylinders in the normal fashion starting with farthest bleed point. (NSR)

Another few things to check, when you adjusted the brakes, did you slacken the handbrake right off before adjusting the rears? I've seen that causing spongy brakes before. Also, bear in mind with new shoes the pedal will be slightly spongy til the shoes bed in to the drum.

If all that fails and it still aint playing ball, chan ces are the master cylinder seals have failed during the bleeding process.
      Last edited by DMAudio; 28 October 2012, 16:42.

Comment

Had same problem on a merc recently after replacing a brake line that runs from the m/c to ABS unit. Back brakes would just bleed. tried bench bleeding m/c and all the lines at there connections back to the rear. Btw there's no rear load sensor on these.

Used one of those 20 quid easy bleed pressure bleeders and hey presto!

Use this all the time, so much easier than pumping pedals

Comment

Thanks for all help will try all suggested methods and let you know what works for me-cheers for help fellas

Comment

Working...
          X