Rancho RS5000 for dummies (me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancho RS5000 for dummies (me)

I bought a full set of of these from RoughTrax, arrived yesterday. I've never seen shocks like these as I've usually fitted stock or Monroes previously to other vehicles where I'm busting a gut to push the piston that is permanently extended.

The Rancho's come out of the box in their minimum position, I can pull and push the piston easily and hear fluidy stuff going on inside the shock body.

Question:

do they pump themselves up once fitted? Or is it that once they are fully extended they work fine?
    Do I need to do something to them to make them work?

Any assistance/pointers appreciated as I don't want to remove the 18 yr olds on there and have no car for Monday.

Never used the Rancho so didn't know what they do, so found this.

Shocks are a velocity sensitive dampener. That is they generate a damping force proportional to the velocity of compression or extension of the shock. Compress them slow (low velocity) and you get low force. Compress them fast (high velocity) and you get high force.

Gas charged shocks have high pressure gas inside that creates a slight extending force. This force has nothing to do with damping.
    Apparently they are not gas charged so it's normal. It's the gas in the gas charged shocks which make them extend.

Nev

Comment

Iirc my rs5000 steering damper extended - slowly and so do my adjustable rear rancho shocks. don't know if they are gas though...
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Thanks guys. I've put the rear ones on in any case. Looks as if a previous owner had replaced one of the Toyota shocks only.

Question: do I need to tighten the bejaysus out of the top nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by Loobs View Post
          Thanks guys. I've put the rear ones on in any case. Looks as if a previous owner had replaced one of the Toyota shocks only.

Question: do I need to tighten the bejaysus out of the top nuts?

Tighten the nut just enough to start squashing the rubbers.

Comment

Many thanks.

Now Im wondering if. I've put the boots the right way up.

There really should be pictures for me...

Or at least if Rancho's web site worked properly and I could see the installation instructions..

Comment

Working...
            X