Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake adjuster?

Guys,

The surf I am interested in needs its rear brakes adjusting or taking up, not sure on the correct description? This is according to the seller in his description. Has anyone had this problem before and is it an easy fix?

Is the adjuster easy to find?

Many thanks once again,
    Neil

The rear drums don't like being dunked in sandy silty mud, and often need stripping and resetting after an offroad trip.

Also the rear wheel bearing and seal can wear getting diff oil on the brakes.

The adjuster is in the usual place for any drums, there is a slot under the wheel cylinder for you to stuck a flat screwdrive through and ratchet up the adjuster, but its normally the above problems, as long as everything is put together properly the drums auto adjust for wear when you use the handbrake.

Duff rear brakes wouldn't put me off buying a truck, there's not much that isn't easily fixable, just have a look inside the rear wheel, if its oily then its normally the bearing, less often the wheel cylinder. If its all dry then it probably just needs pulling the drum off, cleaning and resetting.

Anyone selling a truck with duff handbrake, who says "it's just needs adjusting" should be able to do that themselves before selling if its that simple. I'd suspect it needs work, but like I said its not normally a big deal though.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It could just be a simple adjust issue, If its an auto an awful lot of people never use the handbrake, so it never self adjusts, but as Tony says, it cant be much of anything thats not easily fixable anyway.
      Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys,

I am a quite good with cars so if it's just a standard drum brake it's a piece of cake to fix including the bearing and seal.

I thought it might be a 'specific to the surf' type problem so good to know it's not

Comment

Originally posted by MSKsurf View Post
          I thought it might be a 'specific to the surf' type problem so good to know it's not
          The brake adjusters are no different, the bearings and seals are.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
          X