getting hot when towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting hot when towing

Hi all, first time posting on here so hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any advice given.

I own a 1995 gen 2 3.0 surf which is extremely well maintained by myself as im a mechanic by trade.
    I have a strange problem im hoping I can resolve with help on this forum.

The surf runs like a dream with no problems whatsoever, until the mrs wants to put her ifor williams and the donkey! (sorry i meant horse) behind.

It drives fine on the flat road but when a fairly long incline comes up the temp gauge starts to rise up to the red, as soon as the incline is leval again the temp goes straight back to normal.

I am aware of the head issues with these vehicles but im pretty certain the head is good.

The rad is new, thermostat is new, viscous fan works fine, cooling system very clean and fresh coolant is in.

It never throws water into overflow bottle either, it just seems to get hot on the long hills, i can understand an ifor williams and a horse is a fair bit of weight to pull up a hill but ive seen 2.5td vehicles and less do it with no issues, surely the 3.0 surf should be capable.

I even fitted auxillary tranny cooler up front but no improvement.

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated as i DONT wanna sell the surf! would rather someone left the field gate open one day!

Common problem...

I have fitted a after market temp gauge with the sender in the top hose which acts as an early warning system.

I have also junked the aircon rad and front spots...this has helped a fair bit.

Also junked the bonnet sound proofing along with the front and side bonnet seals. Others have fitted bonnet vents.

Other than that, just feather the throttle while keeping an eye on the after market gauge.
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Working...
    X