4x4 dash light flashing-help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 dash light flashing-help

Hi I'm a newbee and would really appreciate some sound advice please.iv just bought my first gen 3 surf after owning 2 previous gen 2 surfs and always drooling over gen 3!!,my problem is the dash light which shows 4 wheels and axles is constantly flashing when driving or not but the 4 wheel drive engages fine with no worrys. It seems to drive ok aswell with a slight bubble/shake type of feel but was told by the owner it's because of the aftermarket bigger wheels.can someone plz tell me what the problem could be as the previous owner said its just a switch problem(I believed him!!) and hope he's right. I need to get this sorted befor going on a long journey next week so hoping someone has knowledge of this.thanks. ........gen 3 addict for life

Hi,
    Did you manage to sort this as I now have the same issue....

Comment

I doub't you will get an answer as he has never posted since then.

Nev.

Comment

Cheers,

That seems to be the problem with half of the posts I have read on this, just seems to go dead with no explaination on the final cure.....

Comment

Originally posted by chris henry View Post
          Cheers,

That seems to be the problem with half of the posts I have read on this, just seems to go dead with no explaination on the final cure.....
          That's not entirely true - this may be of help:

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...light+flashing

Comment

Ahh cheers for that, fingers crossed for light at the end of the tunnel on this one then !!!!

Comment

They all do that, Sir...

To some extent anyway. There are a few tricks I've read on here to get the centre light to stop flashing and get the 4wd to engage:

All has to be done below 60 kmh (or is it mph?) IIRC...

• Dropping into neutral, then back into drive.
              • Giving it some boot.
              • Engaging reverse, then back in to drive.
              • Clicking the button out, then back in again 10 seconds later.

Eventually mine always works (he said, touching wood :heh: )
              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Cheers,

I have tried all of the above, yesterday front prop was locked ie couldn't turn it by hand, so went to find some suitable slippy surfaces and seems althought prop was locked no matter what I told it to do I could get no drive through the front wheels, I know this because I nearly got it stuck in a lot of wet mud!!!

On the way back once out of the mud I tried engaging the 4wd via the button on the move at 10mph doing this gave me a thud from I guess the transfer box but no change to the flashing lights.

Today I have played with the vacum system under the air box all works fine and I have also managed to get the prop to unlock and it now locks and unlocks correctly when told to either using the button or pulling the lever to lock the centre diff.... But I still have the flashing Xmas tree on the dash so need to jack it up and see if when I lock it I now get drive to the fronts but it keeps raining and I don't fancy getting stuck in the mud to prove a theory....

At least it is now useable in 2wd !!!!

Comment

Chris - did you look into the link that I posted, particularly the last post on that thread?

The OP (g-lid) found a break in the loom:
                  Quote "a kinked & broken wire right where the loom comes inside the car from the engine bay up behind the glove box area"

Comment

I read the post and that is my next trail of thought as it would make sence with what seems to be happening but I only got as far as dropping the glove box and seeing lots behind it. So will need to do some more investigations once I get a min but will add to the post as soon as I track it down

Cheers for the help so far, I've also joined the Australian site as there is some interesting bits on there

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X