Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine/transfercase problemS !help!

Well I finally finished my SAS on my surf! '91 2LTE auto
    But now my transfer case has been kinda grinding when I'm driving at hiway speed and let off or accelerate!
    Yesterday morning I was backing out of our driveway and it is a steep step up to the rd (all gravel) and when I hit the steep step onto the rd it stopped and made a grinding (like a chain sliping on a sprocket) so I abhorred and pulled up and got a run with no
    Issues
    The other day I drove to my inlaws an hr away and my transfer case leaked out the output to the front drive shaft which isn't hooked up?
    And my engine is blowing white smoke on cold starts and runs like shhht
    gotta hold it at 1800rpm for a min and it smooths out and runs good!
    And it's leaking oil around the head and what ever the pump is on the rear left hand side of the engine on top of the intake manifold?

Now I have a 1KZ-TE parts surf that I nabbed recaro's from with an auto and I wanna know how hard it is to swap the 2LTE for the 3.0? Is there a harness I can plug in to use the 2LTE electronics?
    Or can I just use the 3.0 head on my
    2LTE?
    Sorry for the story I talk lots lol!
    Last edited by bezrq surf; 17 July 2012, 06:19.
    mmmmmm....... muuud

Originally posted by bezrq surf View Post
    Well I finally finished my SAS on my surf! '91 2LTE auto
    But now my transfer case has been kinda grinding when I'm driving at hiway speed and let off or accelerate!
    More likely to be the propshaft needing greased.

And my engine is blowing white smoke on cold starts and runs like shhht gotta hold it at 1800rpm for a min and it smooths out and runs good!
    Glow plugs aren't working, check the 80 amp fuse.

Now I have a 1KZ-TE parts surf that I nabbed recaro's from with an auto and I wanna know how hard it is to swap the 2LTE for the 3.0?
    Very. You'll need all the electrics too.

Is there a harness I can plug in to use the 2LTE electronics?
    No

Or can I just use the 3.0 head on my
    2LTE?
    No
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

And it's leaking oil around the head and what ever the pump is on the rear left hand side of the engine on top of the intake manifold?
      There is no pump on top of the inlet manifold. Post a picture of this thing and we'll tell you what it is.

Comment

Ok 80amp fuse and what if the fuse isn't blown? Is there a way to test glow plugs?( I have a multimeter? )
        And really this thing ran awsome until one night I was out wheeling and got stuck bad and managed to get out, and my ex GF was guiding me and guided me back into a stump and folded my exhaust! I managed to fix it on the trail but the next morning it ran like shhhht cold ever since!

I can't post pica as I live in the bush with no comp an IPhone and no tapitalk app but the part I'm thinking of looks like a hard line manifold with hoses and hard lines all over it....and an oily mess of a slow leak!

This engine runs well when warm I might add!

And if a prop shaft is a drive shaft? It is greased regularly, I'm a truck driver and believe in grease lol! I check my oil and coolant every other day!
        mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

Believe the glow plugs shoulf be approximately 0.7ohms i believe (from ground to the screw cap part) but you will need to measure them with the glow plug bus bar removed. It's a very low resistance so watch out if you don't have a very accurate multimeter!

You will need to check to make sure that you have not got a short between the bus bar across the plugs and ground - there should be ceramic washers on top of the glow plugs to isolate the bus bar from the outer part of the plug.

Lack of glow plugs (which don't just heat up when you put the ignition on -they operate after too) would definitley cause cold starting problems. The symptoms you describe are exactly those that a few failed glow plugs (unlikely to happen at exactly the same time) or a failed fuse would have.

Have you checked the oil in your transfer case? I believe it takes just over a litre of GL5 gear oil. Opening the filler hole should show you the oil at the same level as the hole or leak out slightly. Fill it to the brim if not.

Have you checked for play in the UJs even if they are greased?
          ======
          Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Ok I wll check the plugs this weekend!
            I may just order some on Friday!
            And I just put u-joints in a week ago! And yes They are tight! My drive shaft is fairly new too! Lol 2months ago I got it re-tubbed to north American size tube Lengthened and all new joints lol I think a cv is in my future
            mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

Lengthened? Why?

Perhaps it's now too long and is binding.

Comment

And if a prop shaft is a drive shaft? It is greased regularly, I'm a truck driver and believe in grease lol! I check my oil and coolant every other day!
                In the UK a propshaft connects the gearbox to the axle, and driveshafts connect the diff to the wheels.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

T-case is topped up with a gL-5 75w90 since that seems to be all I could find up here lol (I live in northern BC Canada) and the t-case hasn't leaked since! A u joint was ####ed and I replaced both so maybe the joint caused the leak?

And I should add that sometimes on a cold start when I rev it up steady I will slowly press the gas pedal and nothing happens for I don't know...say 30 seconds before it starts revving?
                  mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

Lengthened since I have a Trail-gear 4" leaf spring kit in the rear and 3" leafs front with an extra 2" in shackle and the front hanger adds extra too! + A 3" body lift with 35's that are way to small!
                    Body lift is going in the garbage in the future lol!
                    mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

Working...
                    X