3rd gen dashboard rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen dashboard rattle

Hi, I m new to the forum, decided to register since I have accessed your info for years and found the website very useful. - have had the dashboard rattle (the one that goes away when you set the heater lever ti hot) for a while, I saw a cple of posting on how to get rid of it, by using silicone spray on the actual pipes, can anyone explain in more detail how to get to the exact spot? Do I remove the middle consoie bit around the gear sticks?or the rario wooden trim?sorry but I have only opened up dash once to fit FM expander, so not too familiar with the inner workings of the dash. Cheers

I had the same thing on mine, try bending the metal braket that holds the heater control cable mine was vibrating against something. You can reach it under the dash but I can't remember if it was through the radio surround or up under the drivers footwell.
    I also used silicone sealer & cable ties on anything that moved under the dash and now the truck is quite. Ps you will cut yourself on something under there so watch out!
    Hope this helps.

Comment

the rattle on my dash is from the cup holder, over time it tends to open ever so slightly and rattles, push it back in and it's quiet for a short time, I've tried a few different approaches to stop it but they have only worked temporarily.
      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

heater control cable

Thanks for your suggestions guys,

my rattle is definitely the heater control cable one because it goes away when I move the lever to the right to hot. I'll try to remove radio surround and tighten things up a bit, however, Dobbsic, what does the heater control cable look like? Is it , like, an electrical cable? Or more like a piece of conduit...trouble is when I looked before there were lots of cables and stuff in there, didn't quite know what to do/touch

Cheers
        :

Comment

If I remember correctly it's a grey cable (like a bike brake cable) about 8mm thick that comes out of the bulkhead through a hole then is held in place with a bracket. Just give it a bend then run the engine up and SLOWLY rise the revs up and down to see if it's got rid of the rattle. If you blip the throttle too fast it will go straight through the area of vibration that's causing the noise and you won't know if you've got it or not.

As for the cup holder, I have stuck a bit of the furry side of some velcro to the top flat surface of the holder, that will stop it moving around bt doesn't jam it up at all, and that sort's it for good.
          As you can see I don't like rattles!

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
            As you can see I don't like rattles!

This is a nice one...

Although I bet these feel nicer to shake......

Comment

ok...

Well, to be honest with you, after the last post, I have forgotten all about the dashboard rattle!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X