Ignition barrel, key stuck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition barrel, key stuck!

Having a wee problem getting key out ignition! Its acting as if the gear selector is not in Park or Neutral. It turns back but won't go the full way leaving the power to cig lighter and stereo on. !!

Any ideas what could be making this happen? Is there a switch/ sensor somewhere at gear selector?

Cheers.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Can you hear a click coming from the base of the gear lever when you press the brake pedal?

Comment

Mine did this! Undo the smaller of the two plugs at the back of the ignition. it's worked ok on mine for the last six weeks..
      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll check out your symptoms when the wife gets home and I'm off baby duties. Managed to get key out after starting and turning off engine, moving the shifter about and some swearing. The problem needs addressed though as it also happened a few days ago as well. Don't want to leave the key in ignition at work either!!

Cheers for info, will report back soon.

Comment

Ok. Just had a wee check. Vince, there's a click coming from the selector area when brake pedal is pushed.

I've exposed 2 plugs at barrel. The smaller one has 4 wires. Is this the one I have to disconnect? Only other wee one I can see is the illuminate for key hole.

Cheers.

PS. The midges are wild out there. Ha

Comment

If it's clicking when you press the brake pedal then the shift-lock circuit is working OK. and the problem is either with the ignition barrel itself or the linkage on the transmission needs adjusting.
            Are all the brakelights working?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              If it's clicking when you press the brake pedal then the shift-lock circuit is working OK. and the problem is either with the ignition barrel itself or the linkage on the transmission needs adjusting.
              Are all the brakelights working?
              Brake lights all workin. ;/

So where's this linkage you speak of? Is it a pain in the buttocks to get to?

Cheers.
              Last edited by smiffy; 11 June 2012, 22:29.

Comment

The plug with the four wires, it will also bypass the annoying chime when the doors open and the keys are in the ignition. other than bypassing the original problem i have had no other problems with the plug disconnected. I also tried every other way apart from replacing the sensor at the base of the shift before disconnecting the plug.
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Look ere Fraser ..... post 5
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...t+Illumination

11+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                    The plug with the four wires, it will also bypass the annoying chime when the doors open and the keys are in the ignition. other than bypassing the original problem i have had no other problems with the plug disconnected. I also tried every other way apart from replacing the sensor at the base of the shift before disconnecting the plug.
                    Well goto the yard this morning, key stuck!!

Disconnected the wee plug, key out and no annoying chime. Win win.

Cheers.

Comment

i had the same problem.... my auto gear lever wasnt sitting corect. take out the two screws so its loose, lift the lever and tighten the screws.

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
                        Well goto the yard this morning, key stuck!!

Disconnected the wee plug, key out and no annoying chime. Win win.

Cheers.
                        Done the same this morning, since the key was getting stuck more and more often. Got rid of the chime as well and, possibly, managed to disconnect turbo protector at the same time (was becoming annoying).
                        Thought i would post a couple of pics in case anyone gets caught in the same predicament.
                        The socket has been disconnected from the smaller plug, on the right, at the back of the ignition barrel
                        Seems a common issue on the 3rd gen...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the posts on this. I’m new to the surf and got a gen 3 few weeks back. Just started the ignition shenanigans ! I think removing the connector may have worked for me

Comment

Working...
                          X