like so many before, rear window issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• like so many before, rear window issues

Hi all, this is my 1st post on here, and im looking for some help fixing the tailgate window on my 91 2.4TD Hilux Surf.

My fella bought a surf a cple fo months ago and ever since we bought it the rear window was always slow to open and close, then it started intermittently opening and closing, opening being the hardest to do, it then ofc stopped altogether.
    Following advice found on here via the searches i purchased four new relays, and changed the down relay, voila it went down, but then wouldnt go up, so changed the up the relay, window went up and down, then packed up, so after more searches here i sourced a new motor, from my local car scrappy, (took the front passenger motor from a 93 previa) motor was same, just needed to attach the plug from the old one.
    Fitted the new motor by manually opening the window with tailgate down and glass supported on a workmate with cushions on it, tested the motor worked before fitting by connecting it up, anyway window went down, then again nothing and here is where i am at a loss as to what the actual problem is, window will not work from either the key or the internal switch, im kind of thinking its a mechanism/regulator problem? could this be the case? any advice and hints will be greatly appreciated, no way im going to let this beat me!

Just one thing, i have no experience or knowledge whatsoever when it comes to these things, the things i've done so far have purely been by reading old posts on here, and anything electrical im kind of clueless to technical terms, but ofc google is there to help

i did take the centre console apart also to have a look at the switch, which i did (look at it that is) before putting it back together as couldnt see anything obvious there except a bit of fluff.

kind regards
    Becca

You can check the motor / mech by removing the trim panel and putting 12v straight to the motors connector. just reverse the wires for up / down.

My guess would be broken wires between the tailgate and the rear inner wing. (where the relays are)

Rob.

Comment

If you fill in your details on the profile you may be lucky and find some kind sole living nearby who can help!!
      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

I echo what wishbone said.

Also check the rear wiper arm is fully home, there is a switch that cuts the rear window. Check the window lock button on the drivers door panel as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, i have bought a multimeter reader thingy, will this help me find out if the wiring is the problem? ive never used one before kind of learning as i go lol,

had already checked the lock button and rear wiper parked correctly.

i was kind of hoping after changing the relays and motor that it was going to be the mechanism as i really am clueless when it comes to electrics, anything involving power tools and suchlike im really good with but electrics usually leave me blank faced, like now when i see about something that seems to me to be common knowledge to everyone else regarding the 12 volts to motor stuff, me havent got a clue how to do this
          i did plug the motor in to its connector before bolting it back in place and it goes in both directions when i use the key, but soon as i attach it back in place, i get sweet f a relays click away merrily but thats all.

im determined to not let this beat me so with the help of this forum i will see what using this multimeter shows up.

thanks all, i will report back soon as ive checked it out

Becca

Comment

Well if the motors working good off the key then the mech needs to be pulled out and looked at.Remove the motor. Open the tailgate and open the window halfway out and then remove the 4 10mm bolts that mount the mech. Undo the plastic clips that hold the rod from the handle and one other, and remove the 2 cables from their clips.

From memory that and a couple of electric connectors and you can wiggle the mech out for inspection / cleaning / greasing.

Check the teeth on the 2 arms as they can rust off.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
            X