underslung spare issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underslung spare issue

I have the underslung spare wheel , I have the tools from the back seat and the tool wrap and I put the long hook throught the rear bumper and into a slot on the mech , It was seized up but i greased it and now it turns but it does not lower or raise the wheel , the section that the hook enters turns but the arm connected to the lowering mech doesn't , Is this a common problem ???
    Everywhere I go .... Im there

only had my spare down once and the tyre fitter dude did it, but i'm pretty sure the tyre came down on a cable only, the part that dont move in the pic didnt move on mine, it just lowered on a cable, and yes it was a pain to do for him also.
    hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by angloabroad View Post
      only had my spare down once and the tyre fitter dude did it, but i'm pretty sure the tyre came down on a cable only, the part that dont move in the pic didnt move on mine, it just lowered on a cable, and yes it was a pain to do for him also.
      hope this helps
      Thanks but Im pretty sure that the part in question is connected to the cable that then lowers the wheel , If I'm wrong will someone please correct me

Comment

just checked mine mate, and yes that bar should move t lower the cable

Comment

Damn - That means that the mech in side is FUBAR !!

Can It be done manually ?? , I go have a tinker ..........

Never a dull moment with my surf , eventually there will be nothing to do

Comment

You can disconnect the rod that isn't moving by removing the R clip. Then wedge a socket on the end of it and turn it with your ratchet.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              You can disconnect the rod that isn't moving by removing the R clip. Then wedge a socket on the end of it and turn it with your ratchet.
              Nice one Wishbone , I worked that one out , Wound about 300 times to come down about 4 inches lol , Im gonna take off the spare completely and seal a wheel all the wheels , no punctures 4 me

Comment

Took my little box off, opened it cleaned and greased it all OK afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
                  Took my little box off, opened it cleaned and greased it all OK afterwards.
                  You greased your little box ???

But seriously , if it aint rusted to death Ill have a go ..

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X