Diff details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff details

I am in the process of ordering some auto lockers from the states and before going ahead I just want to double check i have the correct details.
    My axel code is A343F G294
    As far as i can tell this means the front diff is 7.5" with 4.1 ratio, 4 pinions and 30 splines and the rear diff is 8" with 4.1 ratio, 4 pinions and 30 splines is this correct?
    I am fairly confident of the rear diff, but am unsure of the front as the search button did not hold to many answers, so please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks Joe

i asked devon 4x4, i dont know for a 3l, but i asked a price for my 2.4l and they give me the model i need
    http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?op...=149&Itemid=14
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Your front diff is 2 pinion, 27 spline.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
        i asked devon 4x4, i dont know for a 3l, but i asked a price for my 2.4l and they give me the model i need
        http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?op...=149&Itemid=14
        But you still need a compressor with that don't you ?

Locker itself doesn't give much change out of a grand... + cost of compressor £220

Comment

Originally posted by sjoe View Post
          I am in the process of ordering some auto lockers from the states and before going ahead I just want to double check i have the correct details.
          My axel code is A343F G294
          As far as i can tell this means the front diff is 7.5" with 4.1 ratio, 4 pinions and 30 splines and the rear diff is 8" with 4.1 ratio, 4 pinions and 30 splines is this correct?
          I am fairly confident of the rear diff, but am unsure of the front as the search button did not hold to many answers, so please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks Joe
          contact this lot - they sorted mine http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/

Comment

Originally posted by Balllsy View Post
            But you still need a compressor with that don't you ?

Locker itself doesn't give much change out of a grand... + cost of compressor £220
            yes you are right, unless you want to blow tru the hose
            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Thanks nev thats exactly what i needed to know.
              Do all 2nd gens have the same front diff just with different ratios?
              Wish i had the money for air lockers, for now will just have to settle for auto lockers front and back.

Comment

Originally posted by sjoe View Post
                Do all 2nd gens have the same front diff just with different ratios?
                All the diesels do. I think the V6 is, internally (thinner crown wheel (or is that the rear diff.?)), different.
                Last edited by Albannach; 19 March 2012, 10:34.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  All the diesels do. I think the V6 is, internally (thinner crown wheel (or is that the rear diff.?)), different.
                  Thats the rear Andy, and its any truck with 4.88 gears, but in the US that was only V6 trucks, It's to allow for a bigger pinion and offsets the crown wheel to one side, so it has to be thinner. so you can't put 'normal' gears in a 4.88 diff.

All Surfs and diesel Pickups are 4 pinion rears, so you only see the 2 pinion diffs in old mk1 or 2 pickup trucks here. It's what the Yanks call a 'turbo or V6 diff'. Normal US trucks have 2 pinion rears, except their V6 and 2.4 Turbo trucks.

All 2nd Gen and 97-on Pickup IFS front diffs are the same interally, 7.5" 2 pinion 27 spline.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Excellent, thanks for sharing the wisdom.
                    Dont know what i would do without this forum, wouldnt know where to start with modifying my surf.

Comment

Not sure its such a good idea to fit a diff locker to front wneels unless you are only using truck for offroading !

Comment

I have manual locking hubs that will only be locked when off roading so thought it would be ok as front driveshafts would be free to do what they want in normal road driving, or have i got it all wrong?

Comment

I think you're right but I'll let the grown ups reply to confirm... I believe most generally only fit rear lockers.

Comment

Any more info on this? will a front locker cause me problems?
                            Youve got me woried now

Comment

As far as I know if you have FWH, then a locker in the front should be ok. Most down here even fit a front locker before a rear, simply because the front diff is weaker and it help to not break them when a wheel is lifted and comes down with the foot on the go pedal.

Not an expert on this just passing on what I have learnt from the forums.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X