Shudder from open sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shudder from open sunroof

Driving home tonight I decided to open the sunroof rather than use the AC (it was pretty hot here today).

Anyway round about 60km/h (40mph-ish?) the open sunroof was shuddering like mad - a really annoying noise. Closing it a little bit seemed to help though.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen some posts outlining more serious shudders at 40mph so perhaps I should think myself lucky!

t

Try opening the rear window a fraction.

Now the science bit (don't quote me on this!): When you drive with sun roof open, air is forced into the car increasing the presure. Once high enough, it vents back out throught the sunroof, creating the 'fump fump fump' you hear. Opening the rear window prevents the build up of pressure, and makes the drive a lot quieter.

Hope that helps
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by tamper
      Driving home tonight I decided to open the sunroof rather than use the AC (it was pretty hot here today).

Anyway round about 60km/h (40mph-ish?) the open sunroof was shuddering like mad - a really annoying noise. Closing it a little bit seemed to help though.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen some posts outlining more serious shudders at 40mph so perhaps I should think myself lucky!

t
      Check if your sunroof has two positions on the switch, most normally do (any sunroofs I've had including prior '93 surf have had this), these are normally refered to as 'comfort' and 'full', the comfort position being around 90% open to avoid the very problem you have encountered
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks chaps - I'll give those options a try.

Comment

Working...
        X