Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change a chassis?????

HI all

Heres the story so far. I trying to register my Surf in France but I've hit a brick wall in that the Toyota France will not recognize the Surf as an offcial model,and without recognition of this the car has to have a French SVA,but the cost is €2000 minimum,which I don't want to pay.
    I found for sale a 4 Runner chassis with registration document,that I want to sit my Surf on and,hey presto I've got a French registered 4 Runner.
    What I'm after,is any info on whats involved in lifting the body and rolling out the chassis. What parts need to be removed,unbolted? How to lift the body tub and where to support it etc.
    I know it's a bit extream but I can save a lot of cash here,and save myself alot of grief on the registration process.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Could you not save even more cash by selling your Surf here and using some of the money to make the 4Runner tidy?

Comment

No, its a chassis and the body shell is damaged,and stripped.
      Even then the asking price is €1000

Comment

Here,have a look!!

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_a...00.htm?ca=14_s

Comment

You'd need to swap the VIN plates too. Is your Surf the same colour as the Runner?

Check out Jetskidavid's thread on here for lifting the body off the chassis.

Comment

Move to Spain.

Comment

Its pretty easy TBH, but takes awhile to disconnect things. I did it like this...

Have all these bits together nearly now, are they on hold now till you decide what to do?
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                You'd need to swap the VIN plates too. Is your Surf the same colour as the Runner?

Could you not just swap the vin plates?
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                  Could you not just swap the vin plates?

There's a number stamped on the chassis too.

Comment

The chassis number is not hard to change.

PM'd you

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Thanks for the responses guys,been out shopping this afternoon!!

Vince,yes I know about the VIN plate thanks. The runner is not the same colour but French registration documents do not record colour,type of transmission or if RHD or LHD,there's just BS info on towing, fiscal horse power etc,mainly set up so they can charge you a few hundred Euros for your registration document.

Tony, Thanks for the pics.Thats kind of what I'm thinking,making up a gantry from scaffold (which I have lots of!),and get a friendly local farmer to lend a tractor to do the lifting.

What do you guys think the body shell weighs?? I'm thinking about 5-600 KG

If I disconnect the a/c pump,and lift that with the body shell will that save the a/c gas??

PS Tony I was wondering why you would put that shell on a chassis,and then I realized,2 door!!

PPS Let me know how much you want for all the parts and I'll see what funds I have!

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X