Tailgate issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate issues

I need to change a brake light bulb, but to do that I need to lower the tailgate, and THAT hasn’t worked for a good four years!
    The truck is a 94 3 litre.
    I’m not overly bothered about having a working tailgate, although I admit it was handy! It’s more for the fact that any components that might have caused the failure in the first place all look rather expensive, and sorting which one I need is beyond my electrical or mechanical scope.
    I broke the switch in the central console about six years ago, then totally relied on the key. Now it just clicks, which I assume is a relay? I’ve taken off the rear tailgate panel, and I’ve wrenched the plastic sheeting off too. I’m assuming that I have to get the window down in order to release the “switch lock”, but I can’t see an obvious way to do that, although I’m sure there is one and its just not obvious to me, because I’m an idiot.
    All for a bulb! Grr. Can anyone, in really simplistic layman’s terms advise me as to what needs unbolting, and in what sequence in order that I might get the tailgate open and that brake light bulb changed? If there is a real danger of breaking the window, or not being able to raise both it and the tailgate back into place I’ll take it to a garage, but I was hoping to spare myself the expense. Besides, they might insist on fixing it, and complicated things involving electrics and experimentation tends to cost more than I can currently afford, going on past experience!

From memory I think there are two bolts to remove to get the light cluster off.

Unfortunately I think the tail gate does need to come down. Beware of just getting it down enough to clear and then 'frigging' the lock, I'm sure I've read that the glass can break under the strain of its own weight if the tail gate is dropped with the glass sticking out.

Comment

tailgate issues

ok been there done that
      when you remove the back plate the first thing you think is OH MY GOD
      dont despire it's not that bad.
      you have to remove the motor then the regulator.
      1st thing put a screwdriver into the hole on the right side half of the regulator
      half way when the window is closed this will stop the window from crashingdown when you release the motor you can see it think!!!!
      from inside the car on the right hand side there are 3 bolts holding the motor in place
      disconnect the motor unplug the wiring connector and remove
      lput your hand up inside the door and feel the bottom of the glass window
      take the weight and remove the screwdriver and lower the window
      once the window is down go to back of vehicle and open tailgate door
      2 bolts holding light cluster undo remove and change bulb
      whilst door is down locate 3 bolts maybe 4 retaining regulato
      r undo and remove regultor
      then 2 options
      1st option go to b&q get planed 2x1 cut 2 pieces to size to prop up window
      (i did this and worked for me but a pain in arse when needed to open rear door
      2nd option go on ebay a guy in birmingham does refurb motors for around 70 quid replace motor and rebuild tailgate (best option)(although i had props in place for about a year as to finacial funding)
      job done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X