No OD or exceleration up hills ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No OD or exceleration up hills ?

I have a mark 2 3ltr Auto Surf..118 on the clock, great condition. 4 Wheel drive works and everything seems in order.. I can hear the gear changes BUT..
    the OD off light on the dash isnt coming on and I dont hear or feel any difference when I turn it on either. Im sitting at about 2000 rpm when Im driving at speed ( up to 70 ish ) and the engine isnt too noisy so Im wondering if its working and stuck in ON position.. Any thoughts on this ?
    Having changed to an Auto / Deisel both for first time I also dont know what to expect from the engine in terms of speed V noise.. its very slow to excelerate on hills from standing and sometimes feels like the more gas I give it the more noise but no change in exceleration..Are they slow on hills ? What should I check out if not ?

Any help or thought greatly appreciated by the damsel in distress !!

Hi Claire

you must have a goodun, with od on mine kicks in at 55mph, at 60 its doing 2000 revs, afaik this is normal, so I'm thinking you could have the dash bulb gone that lights this up or you have a loose plug somewhere which needs checking out.

I've never had a problem on hills with slowing down either, you will hear it drop out of OD if you go below 55 on an incline but I just put my foot down a bit more on the approach if its a straight road and the truck eats them. Then again my version of an incline is probably not your idea of a hill, I've lived in Scotland and theres some big motha hills up there. H

Comment

Thanks for reply. I'm up in Scotland too, the black isle
      I checked rpm today...were about the same as I'm around 2000 at 60.
      I never hear any change or see rpm drop when I press is button off and on..
      But like I said, its not screaming away so guess it must be stuck on.
      The hill issue is ok with a run up but lousy from a standing start.

Id like a shot in someone else's to see if its normal !
      I guess it is a big old truck..

Comment

I'm no longer up there flower, wish I'd stayed to be part of the exodus. All you should hear on hitting the 55mph is a slightly lighter engine note as it shifts up, if for some reason lock up is engaged permanently then it can only be the electrics afaic and anything in that department I'm useless unless its a cleanup.

The ECU controls this and somewhere on here theres probably another thread about it but the search function brings up too much irrelevant stuff, for me at least, but in your position I'd be following the wires to the transmission/timing case under the truck to see if theres a break or damaged/dirty plug and contacts.

Tonyn is the whizz on these cars and you'll probably get a better answer from him sometime later as to where to look properly as he's a good skin but the forum seems to have a lot of new names since I was a regular and a majority of the helpful ones seem to have gone, but thats life. H

OH I forgot, look at the similar threads at the base of the page, your answer to this could be there.
        Last edited by Hazzo; 28 January 2012, 18:37.

Comment

Working...
        X