Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine troubles - help a newbie

Hi Guys!

Have wanted one for ages and the start of December I finally got my new toy!

After 6 weeks of nothing but comfort I have now hit a problem.

All of a sudden the car has no power in the engine and it struggles to get to 2500 revs. Feels like it is starved for diesel. I have changed the oil the fuel filter and tried blocking off the EGR valve but nothing has worked.

Just white smoke out the back and struggling to get to 30mph.

Any ideas? My garage is at a loss as he cant read the computer. Thinks its possibly the fuel filter head? As when you pump it it seems to run better at start up.

I stay in fife, if anyone is near by or has any ideas then please help.

Regards

David

check the fuel lines and filter as it sounds like the pickup pipe filter in the tank maybe clogged pull the main fuel pipe from the filter housing and blow the pipe with compressed air, remove the fuel cap completely before you do
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by DELTA DELTA View Post

Any ideas? My garage is at a loss as he cant read the computer. Thinks its possibly the fuel filter head? As when you pump it it seems to run better at start up.
      He can, just bridge terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic box, and then turn ignition on and count the flashes of the engine check light.

The codes are in the sticky thread on the General Technical section of the forum.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

"Just white smoke out the back and struggling to get to 30mph."

Have a look in the radiator to see if its losing coolant while your on.
        Black smoke problem = EGR
        White "smoke", sweet small, loads of it when its cold outside + coolant loss = Big problem

Could be lots of things though, specially if your tank is full of gunge, like Tony says do the check light thing. A lot of folk have run these on vegoil in the past, I tried but it didn't like starting on veg/mix and the savings were pennies at the time so aborted the idea in favour of diesel, apparently the veg picks up crud in there which can block lines/injectors etc. H

Comment

Tried so far.

Hey,

Thanks for the tips so far. I had already changed the fuel filter and tried blocking off the EGR valve but to no avail.

I had it at the garage the other day but they couldn't figure it out. However when I picked it up he said there was no oil or coolant left in it. I don't know about the coolant as I haven't checked that since I got the car. But I changed the oil myself about 2 weeks ago.

My garage thought it was possibly the fuel filter head? Which would make sense if there was a blockage in the pipe?

Now worried about the "Big Problem" possibility.

I had tried bridging the diagnostics with my friend but couldn't get it to work. Any tips?

Thanks again!

DD
          Last edited by DELTA DELTA; 25 January 2012, 20:06.

Comment

Think you've got the big problem mate. You say you did the oil, if so you either didn't put the sump plug back or you haven't put enough in, oil n filter change will need 6-7 litres to fill to the dipstick full marks, I just did mine after flushing the old out, it took 5 litres to get in the middle of the marks.

The white smoke thing and no coolant is more worrying, these trucks don't overheat well and seeing you only had it a month I'd reckon the seller sold you a lemon, its wise to keep an eye on all fluid levels weekly at least and as yours seems to be doing a puff the magic dragon I'd recommend you take the cap off the radiator before starting every morning and top it up, just use water though as the coolant will end up costing more than the diesel.

Sorry to burst ya bubble but I've been down this road myself, if you've no leaks of coolant visible either from the rad or hoses/heater junctions etc its not looking good, did you check stuff like this on the truck when you bought it as there used to be a guide on here about all this stuff.

Theres quite a few Scots members who might be in your area will look it over for you but I'm not holding out much hope of it not being a blown head. H

Comment

Garage called

Hi guys,

My garage have called and asked if I have put petrol in instead of diesel at any point. I really don't think I have as I always run the tank empty and then fill it right up so it would have had to run a good 300 miles on petrol.

Is that possible?

Thanks again

DD

Comment

Don't know mate, haven't done it myself but I Tthink it might do more harm than good. H

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm sure you must be getting sick of me posting by now.

The garage my surf is in just now thought it could have been contaminated diesel that was the problem although I haven't heard back from them and fear they must just be clutching at straws.

I stay in fife Scotland. Does anyone know of any members close by or know of any good garages near me?

I don't really want to take it to Toyota unless its a last resort as I imagine it would cost more than I paid for the truck.

Cheers

DD

Comment

Air in the fuel can cause white smoke.
                    Air could be getting into the fuel at the fuel primer thats on top of the filter assembly. Get the garage to bypass the filter by connecting the fuel hoses together either side of it and see if that cures the problem.

Comment

Just a long shot but have you checked the turbo?
                      www.apmautos.com

Comment

More news from the garage

They think the fuel injector pump is faulty. Is this likely before I have them go ahead and do it as they said it'll cost a few hundred quid?

Thanks again all, best car forum I've ever been on.

Comment

See post #10 before you buy another pump.

Comment

I asked them to do it and supposedly they did and everything they have tried points to the injector pump supposedly.

Symptoms were:

No power and check engine light coming on just before the turbo could kick in properly. Struggling to get 35mph.

Have tried the fuel filter, checked the primer supposedly. They thought it w contaminated diesel so drained the tank. Blocked off the EGR valve.

If a new injector pump doesn't work I think I'll be living in the car lol.

IF I do need a new fuel injector pump where is the best place to get one?

Thanks
                            Last edited by DELTA DELTA; 30 January 2012, 12:40. Reason: Addition

Comment

Well I'm just back from the garage were my poor surf is.

I personally bypassed the filter primer with tube I got from B & Q but it did not cure the problem so it would seem that the injector pump is indeed the problem.

I have found a pump from a breaker near Perth for £100 which seems reasonable from what I have seen so far.

Work they have done so far is 1.5 hours.

£100 for the pump then they estimate about 8 hours to change the pump plus I'm as well doing the timing belt while they are in there.

All together they said it would be about 6-700 quid all in.

I don't suppose anyone in the area wants/is able to do it cheaper? Like a couple hundred quid and some beer?

All the best

DD

Comment

Working...
                              X