3rd Gen 4x4 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen 4x4 question

I've had a look around the forum but can't find any info about the type of system on my 3rd gen Surf. I previously had a Frontera that was easy to work out.
    I don't know weather I have diffs that lock or a centre diff etc. I think I've seen a LSD sticker somewhere.
    There is a little sign on the dash that lights up when I push the button on the shift lever & has both axles shown and a circle in the middle of the prop, is this a centre diff? Sometimes it flashes sometimes not.
    Any info on what the different settings do (hi lo, 4wd, 2wd etc) would be very helpful
    Thanks.
    Rob

Look harder next time.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....86&postcount=1

Comment

Also:

The 3rd Gen Surf has a multi-mode 4wd system.It may be used in 2wd Hi-ratio, driven by the rear wheels only, 4wd Hi-ratio with an open centre differential. 4wd Hi-ratio with the centre differential locked and 4wd Lo-Ratio with the centre differential locked.H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation, best for less wear & tear on components, best fuel economy & performance.

H4: 4 wheels driven, open centre differential: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. 4 wheel Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. May be used anytime extra traction is desired

H4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked: Move 4wd-selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important), 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 5Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.

L4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked, Lo-Ratio engaged: 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector-lever fully back, push to the right and then forwards.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Ya see, I do come in handy at times.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks chaps,
          So the L stands for locked centre diff then... doh!
          Do the axle diffs lock on this truck (or any of them)for driving in muddy conditions?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
            Thanks chaps,
            So the L stands for locked centre diff then... doh!
            Do the axle diffs lock on this truck (or any of them)for driving in muddy conditions?

Rob

No!
            The L stands for low range gearing.

When the centre orange light in the middle of the small green lights in the dash is illuminated, then the centre diff is locked.

The axle diffs don't lock unless you have a seperate switch for them on the dash.

Comment

No!
              The L stands for low range gearing.

When the centre orange light in the middle of the small green lights in the dash is illuminated, then the centre diff is locked.

The axle diffs don't lock unless you have a seperate switch for them on the dash.
              No, the L (second L that is) does stand for locked centre diff, ie

H4L = high gear 4WD locked (centre diff)
              L4L = low gear 4WD locked (centre diff)
              H2/H4 = high geared 2 or 4 wheel drive with open centre diff
              Nick...... Turning Japanese, I really think so !!

Comment

Thanks Knicko that's what I though. I don't have a dash switch so I guess that I don't have locking axle diffs then. I need to double check but I don't think I have an orange light on my truck only green!

It's not as simple as my crappy old Frontera!
                Mind you I don't have to fill it will coolent/oil everytime I drive it!

Comment

FFS!! So you haven't even got a multi mode transfer case then.

You got a basic transfer case as found on the 2nd gens of which there is loads of info on this website. You owe me seven minutes!

Comment

FFS!! So you haven't even got a multi mode transfer case then.

You got a basic transfer case as found on the 2nd gens of which there is loads of info on this website. You owe me seven minutes!
                    Sounds like he's got an "ava banana" 3rd gen.

Dobbsic, does the truck have plastic arches?

Comment

Bushwhacker I don't know what a multi mode transfer case is.
                      I don't know how the system works.
                      That's why I'm asking.
                      If you check my posts you will see I'm new to this site so am asking for advice not shity comments.
                      Yes Si it is a 3rd gen with plastic wheel arches, lift up tailgate etc, I think it's a very early model as the chassis number is low so it might be a bit of a cross over job.
                      Lot's of the info I have found on this site doesn't seem the match my car as a lot of it is for the 2 gen motors.
                      Is there a thing againt the 3rd gens here?

Jesus I was just asking for some advice as I DON'T know much about the transmission on this car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                        Bushwhacker I don't know what a multi mode transfer case is.
                        I don't know how the system works.
                        That's why I'm asking.
                        If you check my posts you will see I'm new to this site so am asking for advice not shity comments.
                        Yes Si it is a 3rd gen with plastic wheel arches, lift up tailgate etc, I think it's a very early model as the chassis number is low so it might be a bit of a cross over job.
                        Lot's of the info I have found on this site doesn't seem the match my car as a lot of it is for the 2 gen motors.
                        Is there a thing againt the 3rd gens here?

Jesus I was just asking for some advice as I DON'T know much about the transmission on this car.
                        3rd gens are seen as a bit girly but eventually every member will have one.

Could you take a pic of your gear lever & post it up, that way you will get a solid answer.
                        Multimode has all the gears in the pic that bushwhacker posted up, non multimode will only have 2 of the gears.

Comment

Working...
                        X