Tweek the Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweek the Bars

Yeah I know, torsion bars are well covered on here, however I would like an opinion. I'm going to fit an electric winch and heavy duty bumper to my truck, at this point I'm not sure about bumper weight but the winch is around 45Kg's. Does the team think that a tweek of the bars would compensate for the extra weight and if so would it upset any other geometry. Or should I look at heavy duty bars? TIA.

other than working out the forces over the fulcrum etc blah de blah science and maths answer, I'd say measure the height to wheel arch, fit winch and re measure, If the bars have not been wound up already, then yes, wind em up back to original height. Bear in mind, you won't be changing geometry at all as the suspension will be exactly in the same position (before the winch, and after winch and tightening) I did mine right up to the bump stops and it still drives straight and true with even tyre wear...
    Plus a stiffer front end will help cornering with all that extra weight shoved far out over the front.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Now thats the sort of answer I like, thanks.

Comment

Only cos its cheap, cheap isn't often better, its sometimes just 'good enough'

I'd get uprated bars personally, My truck was far smoother on heavy duty bars under normal pressure than the old bars under far more tension to keep the same height. This is with a Warn Bumper, big winch, lots of lift, 33's etc...

Try it, if your bars are tired it'll feel horrible, if they are good nick as WR says it'll be ok, but a steel winch bumper and winch is frigging heavy, and add 33's bouncing around the other end of the bar as I said my truck was much happier on thicker bars.

I tend to leave orginal bars on when just doing lifts, (unless they are knackered) and we go up the HD when you start loading the truck up with gear or doing lots of offroading on 33's
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

you can also put on "diet" your surf by removing all the air con system, that will reduce about 25-30 kgs
          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

One of the reasons I chose this truck was because the A/C was removed, it's for wimps in my opinion, I drove the Empty Quarter in a LR S3 CSW, who needs it. The front end seems very stable and handeling is very good, far better than my XJ Cherrokee ever was, and I'm running on standard size rubber and not going to lift it. Not sure what type of bumper to use at the mo, whether to go for big heavy ARB style or the tubular type which I reckon could be a lot lighter. Thanks for the opinions you blokes, keep em coming.

Comment

TonyN, just out of interest where do you get your Hd bars from and at what cost please.

Comment

Roughtrax, have look at thier website, we've had ours for 6 years or so, so probably lots more than when we bought them!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                X