2.4 G/Box jolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 G/Box jolt

I recently topped up my auto box as it was jerking after a harsh stop, its like the TC is spinning up but there is no drive then it will jolt the truck forward and drive normally,

is that low fluid, I have put 2 litres in but its not showing on the dipstick cold mark?

Did you check the level with the engine running?

Comment

You need urgently to check the fluid level in the correct way.

Taken from http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_service.htm#autobox

Auto gearbox oil check
      All Automatic Models: The dipstick for the auto box has min & max markings in two places to indicate the correct levels when either hot or cold. When the gearbox is cold you clearly use the 'cold' markings, however these should be for reference only, as to obtain correct readings, the level should be checked when hot.
      If you have driven over 16km (24km in frigid temperatures) and the fluid temperature is 70-80oC, the gearbox is hot. If it has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if it has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level cannot be obtained. Check it after it has been allowed to cool for about 30 minutes. The method for actually checking the level is the same regardless of the temperature of the gearbox. Start the engine, with both handbrake and footbrake firmly applied move the gear selector to each setting in turn. Leave in in each setting for a few seconds before moving to the next position, return to Park. Leaving the engine running and the selector in Park, remove the dipstick, wipe clean and reinsert to check the fluid level using the appropriate temperature marking on the dipstick. The gearbox is filled/topped up thru the dipstick tube, there is no separate filling point.
      If the fluid is black, or burnt smelling it should be changed.

Comment

I drove it about a mile, then when parked ran it threw the gears and checked the level but its only about 3mm on the dipstick

also how do you read the dipstick (IF, LF)
        on my c class there is just min and max (cold only)

I have no idea what the previous owner had done to it, there is however a transmission cooler installed but no idea if the box was topped up once installed

Comment

After a drive leave the engine running and check the level, it should be half way in the hot zone on the dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            After a drive leave the engine running and check the level, it should be half way in the hot zone on the dipstick.
            I dont get the markings on the dipstick,

is the hot zone the upper most mark?

Comment

Originally posted by frostbite View Post
              I dont get the markings on the dipstick,

is the hot zone the upper most mark?
              Yes.

Comment

Working...
              X