Engine flush / coolant loss / new rad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine flush / coolant loss / new rad

Recently flushed the coolant system through because my heater was making funny noises and I could see rad weld floating about from the previous owner
    Attached a garden hose pipe to the top hose and let the water rip through the whole system bar the radiator (fitting a new one). Collected the coolant waste in buckets untill it ran clean enough to go down the drain. Coolant system is squeaky clean. Here are some things I have learned from the experience!

When re attaching hose fittings to the rad, don't place the clips on the same indentations in the rubber that have been previously made as I learned the hard way that the seal will not be as tight, place the clip on a fresher section of rubber just a cm up the hose. Probably common sense but useful ### bit imo. New hoses would cure this but mr toyota told me they didn't supply parts for my JAP IMPORT 4runner?!?! haha

After flushing, some instant gasket material covered in crusty rad weld turned up to say hello. Could not find a leak though!! Anyway kept checking the coolant every day, dropping about 2cm in the expansion tank every 10 miles or so. After some time I spotted some pink residue on the aluminium fitting that attaches the top hose to the block, no coolant, no smell, no steam . . the fan would not allow for it!. . just residue! Replaced the gasket and all is well! Note, always check for coolant residue!

And just a note to recommend Nissens radiators. Appears to be high quality at a low cost (£150)

Hope this is useful to someone!
Working...
X