X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snapped rear axle oohh drove over it

Bonsoir

spent all day towing at 60mph pulliung 2 tonnes

unhitched and drove around the corner at 3mph and the rear wheel came off and I drove over it!

what a wonderful day ..................I'm still alive!!!!!!

wheel and axle in the boot ........

what do I do now lol
    Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Originally posted by toyotav84x4 View Post
    what do I do now lol
    Fix it? lol
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I've never snapped a rear axle.

So I drag it home in front wheel drive and fix it.

any sypathy on this board

Comment

Good going, what actually broke?

An axle should only come out if the circlip behind the bearing isn't fitted properly, or the bearing is so bad the balls break out of the cage.

As soon as the shafts break you should have just lost drive and ground to a halt due to the diff before a good bearing could fall apart.

Be interesting to see whats left on the axle.

Pics!
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Did we not see one on here a while back, a badly fitted bearing or a heat damaged shaft (or both). It sheared on the hub side of the bearing.

Comment

Don't remember that, could be!

The shaft is far thicker outside of the bearing, so shouldn't break before the much skinnier bit by the inner splines all being equal.

But if the temper has been messed up, it might break, especially with big tyres on one end and lots of power the other.

Comment

Morning all

yes 3.0 diesel and 2 tonne trailer; must have got hot

not big tyres on this one of my surfs though?

sadly wheel has hit the rear quarter and pushed it in so no beauty awards anymore

axle shaft is sheared straight through and I suspect heat and load have caused it.

Im just going down the road and dragging it home in a minute to see the damage. I think a straight axle swap might be the way to go.

happy days

Comment

can I get a rear axle shaft? not at roughtrax or milner?

anyone with an axle for the 3.0 1994 near Essex?

thanks

Comment

I got a complete rear axle here , but still on vehicle . You can email me rickandtam@btinternet.com if you want to discuss . Should be home most of weekend if you want the axle or just the half shaft.
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by toyotav84x4 View Post
                    axle shaft is sheared straight through and I suspect heat and load have caused it.
                    Where did it shear?

How old are the bearings?

Were the bearings noisy?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      Did we not see one on here a while back, a badly fitted bearing or a heat damaged shaft (or both). It sheared on the hub side of the bearing.
                      There was someone who changed a rear wheel bearing and removed the old one with an oxyacetylene torch which appeared to have tempered and cracked the axle shaft. AFter X amount of months the shaft fell in half as they pulled away, luckily not as they were driving at speed.

Maybe it's that one you're thinking of?
                      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

The shear is directly where the circlip is. If I look into the end of the axle I can see the clip and the snapped end of the shaft.

Obvioulsy went at the thinnest part of the shaft. i will post pictures soon.

I know this rear has been repaired once as it had new bodywork on the quarter so maybe fractured a little before but I think my heavy loading has not helped.

Thank god I was going slow and not the 60 -70 all day that I had been!

Thanks for axle offer vagrant. Are the 2.4 and 3.0 the same?

So

Comment

ok so have bought an axle for 100 and have pulled the halfshaft. I have the new bearings kit from roughtrax for the rebuild.

I've removed the snapring and used a grinder on the collar till It reduced enough to turn and then slid it off. (being careful not to let the shaft get hot.)

Now the bearing? how to get this one out? I guess since I don't need the backing plate I could cut the lot off?

Then rebuilding; did I see that the collar needs heating up before sliding on? Will this not make the metal expand?

Please don't tell me I need a press for the collar and bearing for the rebuild too?

Some appear to say press and special tools and others think good old tapping and pounding and magic?

Comment

I use a 3' length of scaffold tube to drift the collar on. its heavy enough and just the right size. You can heat the collar, that won't hurt the shaft, but its not hard to bash on.

If you havn't got a press then you need to break out the cage of the bearing, remove the balls then the bacl plate will come off. then cut the inner bearing race off the shaft same way you did the collar.

Comment

cheers Tony

I have a scaffold pole just for the job. Would have overlooked it if you hadn't mentioned it..........I was looking at making a special tool by cutting the rest of the axle tube and using a press but I don't think it's necessary.

Since I don't have a press I try this first.

All underway in the morning

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X