Loss of power and a high pitch whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power and a high pitch whine

Hi Guys. Coming home with the caravan on the back today, going up a long but not too steep hill. Truck plodding on, it aint a race car. All of a sudden loss of power and a high pitch whine. Pulled over had a look under the bonnet, cant see anything. No broken belts that I could see, only anout 15 miles to go so kept going. Not too bad on the flat but come to a hill and it was hard work. High pitch whine when it revs over about 200 rpm and vert little power. Turbo light still coming on, but I think a bit later than norm, and nothing from the engine check light. Just had the timing belt done a couple of weeks ago when I had seals replaced on the fuel pump. At a total loss, anyone any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers Spoggle

sounds like the bearing in the turbo are failing, get the intake pipe off and check for play in your shaft
    www.apmautos.com

Comment

Sounds like an air leak from one of the rubber hose connections between the turbo and throttle body.
      The squealing noise is the boost pressure venting to atmosphere which would explain the loss of power. Could be a split or loose hose clip.

Comment

Cheer Guys, Will go and have a pull and tug at things see if I can sort it, if not back to the garage in the morning.

Spoggle

Comment

Well it never rains but it pours.Guy at the garage had a look at the truck today and reports that the turbo is shot. Says that it looks as though one of the hoses has gone hard and and a bit may have come off and been sucked into the turbo. Just had the fuel pump and the brakes done a couple of weeks ago, now this. So here's the question, any one got a turbo for a 2.4 sitting around looking for a new home?

Cheers Spoggle

Comment

I would get a second opinion on that. If the impeller spins freely, there are no damaged blades and there isn't excessive sideways movement in the shaft then the turbo is fine.

Comment

Working...
            X