are the surfs all wheel drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are the surfs all wheel drive.

did a bit of off roading today and the surf did quite well BUT when i got onto a bit of a mound i noticed that one back wheel did not spin when the other side did,i mean it didnt move at all and the other one was chukin mud everywere,why was this, i thought that if its 4 wheel drive then all 4 wheels are supposed to turn.next question i have is i tried to fit a nudge bar and the 4 bolts (two either side) on the cross member are either stuck or come out half way then just spin and wont move out anymore, any ideas.this is on a 94 3.0 td surf

Because there is a differential the tyre with grip will stay stationary whilst the power goes to the one that is slipping (producing spinning wheel). You need the differential on road because when you go round corners the wheels travel at different speeds.
    The way around this is to get diff lockers, these lock your differentials when in very slippery conditions so the power is delivered to each wheel equally.

Depending on what model Surf you have, depends on wheather it is all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. The 3rd gen Surfs have a centre differential so have an all wheel drive setting and 4 wheel drive can be used on Tarmac without the risk of damage to the transmission. However 2nd gen Surfs do not have a centre differential so driving them in 4 wheel drive unless it is slippery can cause damage to the transmission and is not advised.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by james1 View Post
      i thought that if its 4 wheel drive then all 4 wheels are supposed to turn.
      Technically, 2WD is 1 wheel drive, 4WD is 2 wheel drive. Unless you have diff locks (which you don't) Read up on how a diff works, and all will become clear.

next question i have is i tried to fit a nudge bar and the 4 bolts (two either side) on the cross member are either stuck or come out half way then just spin and wont move out anymore, any ideas.this is on a 94 3.0 td surf
      You'll have to cut them off, then punch the remainder up into the chassis. Then run a tap up the thread and see if you can save it. Otherwise they need to be Heli-coiled or tapped out to accept bigger bolts.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        Technically, 2WD is 1 wheel drive, 4WD is 2 wheel drive. Unless you have diff locks (which you don't) Read up on how a diff works, and all will become clear.
        Damn, I was about to write that!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

hehe, you snooooze you looooose...

You can have it next time.

Comment

which Surfs can you get diff-lockers for then?
            If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
              which Surfs can you get diff-lockers for then?
              All of them!

Google Lockrite, ARB, Aussie Lockers, Detroit, etc.....

They need some skill and patience to fit (or cash if paying someone to fit them), and not cheap to buy.

TBH, They are nice luxury, good tyres and good suspension will be 95% of any offroading you want to do in the UK. The main advantage is you don't need to launch the truck at stuff if momentum to get over lack of traction is required, so can cruise though tricky bits without breaking stuff so often if you are heavy footed type of person.

I've never had one in all the offroading we've ever done, and not often had to back out of something.

Comment

Working...
              X