@ TonyN Rear Diff question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ TonyN Rear Diff question

Rear diff on a '92 Surf. Metal was found during an oil change apparently. This piece of metal looks just like a sliver from the Case Sub Assy from what looks like the pinion has moved back into the diff. The piece of metal has the lines in it, which match the lines from machining on the case assy. Looked at a couple of other dead diffs that have been removed and dismantled and saw these machining marks. Now the question is if we replace the front pinion bearing, seal and crush sleeve, torque it to specs, do you think this will be a fix that will last a while and hopefully stop the pinion from moving back in the diff.

Nev

Anyone else had experience with this? Also wondering if it's possible to remove the front bearing cone with the diff still in the vehicle. Looks like a difficult thing to do. Maybe a slide hammer and some sort of adapter????????

Nev

Comment

slide hammer with a small hook on it , there are 2 cutaways in the case which you should be able to feel once the bearing is out
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
        slide hammer with a small hook on it , there are 2 cutaways in the case which you should be able to feel once the bearing is out
        Thank you. Thought there was these cutaways but forgot to take a good look at the dismantled diffs the other day. Any details on dimension for the hook would help also. Got the slide hammer. Never done this before.

Nev

Comment

Maybe I could adapt a small leg from one of my gear pullers to the slide hammer. Hmmm, now where are all my gear pullers.

Nev

Comment

sorry for delay.

If it was mine I'd do that, but you won't be able to check the position of the pinion if the shim or teeth have worn so it may wear quickly.

But rear diff's arn't hard to find, so might be worth it save time.

No idea on measurements.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X