My 4 wheel drive doesn't engage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 4 wheel drive doesn't engage?

Hi, first timer here and wondered if anybody could help.

I have bought a 93 hilux surf, it is my first one and shamefully I have just realised that the 4 wheel drive doesn't engage. This is stated on the v5 but the guy sold it to me as 4x4 and i didn't check.

Everything seems to work on the dash and the low and high range are fine, also all the 4x4 parts underneath seem to be working fine.

It seems that the car has intentionally been converted for some reason.
    Does anybody know why this might be?

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Hi there! Sorry just wondering what makes you say it isn't working in 4 wheel drive? Is the 4WD not lighting up on the dash or are you able to see that the front wheels aren't getting power?

Comment

Originally posted by lug81 View Post
      Hi, first timer here and wondered if anybody could help.

I have bought a 93 hilux surf, it is my first one and shamefully I have just realised that the 4 wheel drive doesn't engage. This is stated on the v5 but the guy sold it to me as 4x4 and i didn't check.

Everything seems to work on the dash and the low and high range are fine, also all the 4x4 parts underneath seem to be working fine.

It seems that the car has intentionally been converted for some reason.
      Does anybody know why this might be?

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

First of all, welcome on board.

Second, is your 4WD working or not? You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Comment

Hello bud. Not sure where your going with this! You say it's not working but 4low and 4high work??? There the only selections!!
        I had a problem where my 4high did not engage once the button was pushed but when you put it into 4low it engaged. Turned out to be two wires about 6" from the button had been cut by sharp edges! Not sure if this is what your getting or not. Hope it helps.
        Good luck finding out your problem!

Comment

If everything works as you say and 4WD does not engage then is it possible you have free wheeling hubs and they are in the unlocked position? You need to clarify what is and is not working.

Nev

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I have ended up selling the hilux as I am not the most technical minded. Just to clarify, I had put the car on a two post ramp and when put into 4wheel drive the lights came up on the dash but only two wheels worked. I then checked the log book wich did state 2WD. My fault I know but thanks for your help anyway.

Comment

But surely if its got a 4WD light and a lever to engage it must be 4WD?

Get under and see if it has a front axle or not.

Comment

Since the Surf has been sold----i guess it doesn't matter too much....

But I've read a few times about 4wd being disconnected for import, all the running gear was there, but wouldn't engage (disconnected electronically i guess?) - presumably something to do with higher costs for importing a 4wd??? maybe?
                92 Manual, 93 auto, 03 Dual Cab, 95 Single Cab

Comment

Working...
                X