Manuall gear box problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuall gear box problem

hi all ive got a problem whith my toyota 2.4 man tdi first thing was when i put the truck in first gear it would crunch it was also getting really hard to change gear ... i was told it was a clutch problem so i went and changed the clutch new clutch fitted and still no change will not go in to gear even when clutch is pressed if engine is off it will go in to gear then... But it wants to move off when starting engine and clutch pressed so i changed clutch slave cyl all bleeded up still no change so i tryed to extend the bar on cyl to push the foulk in further still no change can any one please help me thanks

did you fit a new pressure plate and release bearing or only the driven plate.

Comment

yep put a 3 piece clutch in... got it from euro car parts

Comment

Originally posted by mud bath 21 View Post
        hi all ive got a problem whith my toyota 2.4 man tdi first thing was when i put the truck in first gear it would crunch it was also getting really hard to change gear ... i was told it was a clutch problem so i went and changed the clutch new clutch fitted and still no change will not go in to gear even when clutch is pressed if engine is off it will go in to gear then... But it wants to move off when starting engine and clutch pressed so i changed clutch slave cyl all bleeded up still no change so i tryed to extend the bar on cyl to push the foulk in further still no change can any one please help me thanks
        Master cylinder at fault i would think..
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

gear box

what even tho there is fluid getting to the slave cyl as i look trough the hole in the box i can see that the bearing is pushing the foulks on the pressure plate about a inch ?

Comment

How was the Flywheel, if its the original dual mass one they are often knackered and need replacing.

Also if you got a 4Runner clutch it won't work well with a Surf Flywheel.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

gear box

i will take the box back out and have a look .... is there any other way of ajusting the clutch free play ...?

Comment

Originally posted by mud bath 21 View Post
                what even tho there is fluid getting to the slave cyl as i look trough the hole in the box i can see that the bearing is pushing the foulks on the pressure plate about a inch ?
                Yes! Even though you get fluid at the bleed nipple, It doesn't mean it's being pushed hard enough by the M/cylinder to operate the release fork properly, Any rover owner knows this trick as it's common for the 620 and the 820 manuals, Yes i have tried the tricks you have on one and it was still a crap clutch that wouldn't fully disengage, A fresh master cylinder and it bled quicker and the difference was instant.
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

mud try this...

Drop the gearbox oil and replace it with Castrol VMX80, you will need a 4 litre pack as the R series takes 3.9. it sounds like it is baulking up which may be the problem all along. Usually when these boxes wear or even the top plate on them (which holds the gear lever in) gear selection becomes a problem.

There are also 4 different clutches depending on the flywheel fitted and the best thing to do with the dual mass flywheel no matter if it is any good or not is to take it off and throw it away. Go to the wreckers and get a solid flywheel off a Hiace or similar (you will need the bolts) Then get the clutch kit to suit the flywheel.

Try the gear oil change first and report back

Comment

thanks

hi thanks for all the help its the duall mass that has been the problem does any one have a spaire or solid one 4 sale

Comment

Just a note, if you truck is prefacelift withthe original dual mass flywheel it'll be a 225mm clutch and all the new solid flywheels are to match the post-facelift 240mm clutch so you'll need to change the clutch again.

If you truck is post-facelift then ignore me!

New flywheels are available at roughtrax4x4.com and if you opt for the solid one then you'll have to get used to the gear changes as they are not as fluid as with a dual mass flywheel.
                      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Duall mass

Is there a big diffrence what would you do go to sollid or duall mass trax 4x4 do
                        The complete kit 430 or duall mass 500 + whats the up and downs ....thanks 4 all the help

Comment

Pardon?

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
                            New flywheels are available at roughtrax4x4.com and if you opt for the solid one then you'll have to get used to the gear changes as they are not as fluid as with a dual mass flywheel.
                            You really think so? Apart from being a bit noiser in neutral I've not noticed much difference. But most are slipping or the flywheel springs are loose and flapping about when I get them so a good one maybe different.

You'll have to change the clutch anyway, disregarding the size, the clutch plates are different. Dual mass F/W clutches have no springs in the clutch plate, and if you use them with a solid flywheel you WILL feel the difference trying to change gear.

I'd change it for a soild flywheel any day, even if just doing the clutch, a million Pickups and 4Runners around the world can't be wrong.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                              You really think so? Apart from being a bit noiser in neutral I've not noticed much difference. But most are slipping or the flywheel springs are loose and flapping about when I get them so a good one maybe different.

You'll have to change the clutch anyway, disregarding the size, the clutch plates are different. Dual mass F/W clutches have no springs in the clutch plate, and if you use them with a solid flywheel you WILL feel the difference trying to change gear.

I'd change it for a soild flywheel any day, even if just doing the clutch, a million Pickups and 4Runners around the world can't be wrong.

It could just be that I went from an original, possible slightly soft feeling, 225mm to a brand new 240mm clutch and that's why I got a change in feeling greatly?

I get the same noise in neutral so that's standard by the look of it?!

I'd get a solid one again for a few reasons, the whole kit including flywheel, clutch and some other bits you should change while you're in there is less than the price of just the dual-mass original and also you'll never have the same problem again as it's solid with no bits to fly off in your gearbox!
                              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Working...
                              X