smokie start ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokie start ups

could anyone tell me a cure for a smokie engin. it only dose it when i first start from cold/cool and if i give it some big licks. its not really black more a blueish grey if i drive it hard its more black. it has used about a gallon of oil in about 4/5000 miles. thanks
    [COLOR=Red]mez[/COLOR]

Originally posted by mez
    could anyone tell me a cure for a smokie engin. it only dose it when i first start from cold/cool and if i give it some big licks. its not really black more a blueish grey if i drive it hard its more black. it has used about a gallon of oil in about 4/5000 miles. thanks
    Could be rings or valves that are worn
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Bluish grey smoke indicates burning oil - on hard accelleration it is the rings, on changing gear it is usually the valve seals.

Black smoke usually indicates the there is incomplete combustion of the fuel.

One other thing that you might consider is that you have a warped head or broken head gasket, which is allowing oil into the combustion chamber (cylinder) from the oilways as that is a lot of oil being used [1 ltr / 1000 miles (km?)]

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I've noticed some white-blue smoke on start-ups since I put Redex deisel treatment in with my last tankful. Before I put the Redex in, there was no smoke. On acceleration or changing gear, I can't see any smoke of any colour in the mirrors (though I usually like to look where I'm going when I'm accelerating...)

I've assumed that the new white smoky start-up was the Redex cleaning sh1t out?

Could it be that the sh1t that's being cleaned out was forming some sort of seal, and now I'm about to have a special experience?

Mez, have you recently started using anything like Redex deisel treatment?

Mark
        :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
          I've noticed some white-blue smoke on start-ups since I put Redex deisel treatment in with my last tankful. Before I put the Redex in, there was no smoke. On acceleration or changing gear, I can't see any smoke of any colour in the mirrors (though I usually like to look where I'm going when I'm accelerating...)

Could it be that the sh1t that's being cleaned out was forming some sort of seal, and now I'm about to have a special experience?

Mark
          Mark.

Yes you will often find after a decoke - either manual (when you scrape it when you take the head off) or by Redex, that the carbon deposits at the top of the bores (after a few miles an engine will generally build up a ring of carbon deposit around the top of the bore) will be removed by the decoking and will then find problems with the oil control rings or even the other piston rings. Often after a decoke you can then find lower compression and/or burning oil. This will generally go after a while as the carbon ring builds up again.

Also redex will take some time to clear out the s**t so you can expect some extra smoke for a few miles after which it should go.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Could be rings or valves that are worn
            I'd agree with Mark, suspect the valve seals or oil rings. You may want to try something like STP stop leak or STP smoke treatment. Both of these products are supposed to rejuvenate seals internal to the engine and slightly thicken the oil to coat the rings and valve stems to stop oil blow by.

I use Stop leak in my Surf just to be sure that everything is good on it. One I would not use though is Slick 50.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000

Mark
              redex burns white.
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
                redex burns white.
                Yeah but the muck that it clears out will often burn black.

Comment

Put a whole bottle of Redex in the tank before last.

Didn't get any smoke of any colour, however there is a definate perkyness to it now - must of cleaned the injectors good style.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    I'd agree with Mark, suspect the valve seals or oil rings. You may want to try something like STP stop leak or STP smoke treatment. Both of these products are supposed to rejuvenate seals internal to the engine and slightly thicken the oil to coat the rings and valve stems to stop oil blow by.

I use Stop leak in my Surf just to be sure that everything is good on it. One I would not use though is Slick 50.

Cheers
                    Mine started to really smoke after the head was changed. Lots of grey smoke on start up, and thick black smoke on acceleration.

I used Wynn's Stop Smoke Oil Supplement this afternonn, and it's done exactly as it says on the tin, stopped smoking!!!

New air filter has helped, and fuel & oil filters being changed tommorow! Finally getting there I think!

I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah
                      Mine started to really smoke after the head was changed. Lots of grey smoke on start up, and thick black smoke on acceleration.

I used Wynn's Stop Smoke Oil Supplement this afternonn, and it's done exactly as it says on the tin, stopped smoking!!!

New air filter has helped, and fuel & oil filters being changed tommorow! Finally getting there I think!

Did you have to take any oil out first m8.
                      Regards
                      Kev.
                      2.4 black beast

Comment

Working...
                      X