ATF Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Cooling

I have mentioned this in a couple of other posts but with no response. Living in the UK and let's face it if it's nice weather the first thing I want to do is get the windows down. When I bought my surf the aircon didn't work so I removed the pump and as much of the gubbins as posible. Now i'm thinking of putting the aircon rad back on and running the ATF through it before the main radiator.

this will obviously have a two fold effect, cooling the fluid and taking some of the heat transfer strain of the main rad.

Any thoughts/ideas ?
    All the best

Originally posted by frontman View Post

Any thoughts/ideas ?
    Same as every other time its asked.. ... its to big and might 1/ overcool the ATF fluid, and 2/ seriously alter line pressure.

This is only an opinion, and maybe wildly wrong.

Its also in the way of everything, and a PITA to work round, I'd bin it if you don't want A/C and a get proper ATF cooler.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers for that, I knew there must be a reson/reasons for not using it. Radiators leaking so I have done a temp repair just to get the truck going after fitting the new head. so if anyone has a decent rad going give me a shout.
      All the best

Comment

Iv a b&m trans supercooler fitted to my surf an find it very good so far...it has a bypass built in for wen the atf is cold to let it warm up to operatin temps an then flows through the full cooler...i towed 3 an a half tons the other day no problems at all over mostly hilly roads .
        iv mine fitted infront of my AC rad

Comment

I know that this is a zombie thread, but this may help someone.

I got an atf rad from Summit Racing last week (recommended by Dara; it's the same one he used in his surf). Below is where it was fitted; air will flow through it, so it's not causing a huge air blockage to the rad, plus it is protected behind the bumper and isn't sitting low in case I bounce over something.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Fey!; 28 August 2012, 12:47.

Comment

Thanks Fey! I came on here looking for this and found your post.

Do you have a cold temperature bypass? If so, could you point me in the direction of one?

I'm still going through old posts, but in case I don't find it!
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Fey and Dara have fitted BM supercoolers, by design, they have built in bypass. When viscosity is higher,( cold oil) the oil preferentially flows through the bypass, when its lower, it routes via the cooler tubes. For a better explanation look at the BM website.
              I believe the other Tony ( Surf Guru) also has the BM
              Сви можемо

Comment

BTW, they should not be mounted with inlet and outlet at the bottom.

Nev
                Last edited by NiftyNev; 31 August 2012, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                  BTW, they should not be mounted with inlet and outlet at the bottom.

Nev
                  According to BM they have this LPD ( low pressure drop ) bypass feature. Scroll down to the automatic transmission supercooler section.

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploa...er_techdoc.pdf
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    According to BM they have this LPD ( low pressure drop ) bypass feature. Scroll down to the automatic transmission supercooler section.

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploa...er_techdoc.pdf
                    Yeah the ones with the hose barb fittings do, not the other types. Air lock is possible if mounted with hoses at bottom. They recommend top or side mounting.

Nev

Comment

@ Dieselboy; glad you found them useful. The only mod to the surf was to saw off one of the arms holding the grille, but the grille is still solid on the other 5 arms. The cooler is protected by the grille and bumber, and is high enough that it won't (shouldn't) get a smack from underneath if I go offroad and bounce around a bit. My mechanic used rubber mounts so that it wouldn't rattle either. Dara had warned me that I'd need extra hose to fit it properly, and all of the hoses hide nicely above the guard underneath.

Fitting took my mechanic about 1.5 hours, and all he removed was the grille (I've seen posts somewhere about people removing the entire bumber). Also, the cooler doesn't block airflow to the rad as the air will pass through it.

Unfortunately I'm too mechanically inept to answer your questions, which is why I went with Daras recommendation for which cooler to get!!!

@ NiftyNev; we didn't see anything in the instructions about not fitting it with the hoses down. I'll have another look at the fitting instructions if I can find them. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post

@ NiftyNev; we didn't see anything in the instructions about not fitting it with the hoses down. I'll have another look at the fitting instructions if I can find them. Thanks for the heads up.
                        It's here -

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...jV4yGXKwosTmmA

Nev

Comment

Cheers all.
                          What kind of sizes are people fitting? And do I need to buy extra hose?

I think this is the one I would need but the size seems quite large / long?
                          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70268/
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I bought about the same length of hose as the one that came in the box. It cost about €5 in a local radfix place. Just bring the hose that came with the cooler with you to get the right size and gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post

Fitting took my mechanic about 1.5 hours, and all he removed was the grille (I've seen posts somewhere about people removing the entire bumber). Also, the cooler doesn't block airflow to the rad as the air will pass through it.
                              The main reason I've prefered fitting them behind bumper vents and off to one side is you already have the A/C rad fitted in front of the main rad, so end up with 3 rads stacked inline, with the coolant one right at the back. And seeing as the main reason for fitting it is to cure engine overheating issues when its working hard seemed better to fit it away from the rad a bit.

Yes you'll still get airflow, but it'll be very hot air after going through the AFT cooler, and the A/C condenser before hitting the rad.

Also in the hose run is shorter and not up so high.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X