Drip, drip, drip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drip, drip, drip

Noticed a small pool of oil under the tail end of the Surf today and so went for a crawl underneath.

It would seem that the rear dif is leaking. It seems to be coming from the area where the prop bolts on and I've found what I think I need to cure this from Roughtrax for a fiver. http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=162&vid=217

Can anyone advise of any pit falls here? Is it as simple as removing the prop, undoing a big nut, pulling off a flange and gauging out the old seal with a terminal screwdriver prior to re assembly; or am I being silly and a little too optimistic?

Any advice appreciated.

bump

Comment

bump bump.

Usually you will find the pinion nut is loose. This because the crush washer inside the diff has had a large impact from either towing, offroad, or smoking the tyres too often at the lights ( )

It really should be reset by rebuilding the diff, but in 99% cases you can just torque it up and you won't have any problems.

Or it could just be a worn seal of course, which is as simple as can be. But the above is quite common.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Oooh; finally plucked up courage to venture underneath with some spanners tonight.

Thanks for the input Tony!!!

I've dropped the prop and come across a big brass coloured nut with a flange that is "locked" by being hammered into a groove on the shaft. My thoughts now are to knock this open with a punch and give it a bit of a tweak before knocking back.

Anyone out there have any idea as to how many torques I should apply? I think I've got it into my head about how if it's over tightened I'm going to pull the drive spline away from the big scary geary thing in the diff, which will result in crunching noises and a need to remove wheels, half shafts and the diff (oooh, rather not thankyou). In short I believe I've managed to scare myself out of getting on with it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you unstake the nut carefully, you can get it back in the same place without messing to much up aftger changing the seal.

Like you say, overtightening it will alter the length of the crush washer I mentioned in last post and bugger up the diff pinion preload.

If the pinion is loose with the nut still done up, then you'll have to decide whether to just torque it back up and take a chance, or pull the diff and have it rebuilt.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks again Tony, doesnt seem to have any slack in it so I think we'll go for the seal replacement.

Comment

Working...
            X