"Driver side" specific front springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Driver side" specific front springs?

I'm going to be installing some '99 4runner "Highlander" springs in my Surf this weekend, should be good for 1-1.5" lift from my '96 springs. My question is I've found info that the front spring with the pink/blue markings is for the "driver's side", and the yellow/blue is for the passenger side. Now obviously this is intended to be accurate for a LHD USDM 4runner, but how does this apply to my RHD Surf? Does the "driver side" switch as you would expect with the steering wheel, or is the weight still distributed the same way and I treat it like a LHD with respect to "driver's side"? This truck has a completely different engine, so what do you guys do, and does it make a difference if the truck is diesel or petrol powered when you figure out where the springs go.
    '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

I only have limited experience with surfs but I have been in the motortrade for for quite a few years so I can give you an answer based on that.

Manufacturers usually rate components right hand or left hand rather than drivers side/passenger side as obviously this varies from country to country. Not sure about 3rd gens but on 2nd gens the right hand rear spring is taller to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank and spare wheel, I imagine the same to be true with 3rd gens so basically as the vehicle layout as a whole other than relocating steering column to the other side of the car does not change you should fit the spring that came from the right hand front of said vehicle to the right hand front of your vehicle and so on and so forth for the others.

As to the petrol/diesel question yes the springs are generally rated differently as your average diesel engine is a far heavier beast than the equivalent petrol engine, this will probably only affect the front springs as that's where most of the weight will be concentrated, if your fitting diesel springs to a petrol you would most likely get away with it, you may even get slightly more lift but the ride will be a bit firmer as the weight wont be there to act on the springs, I wouldn't however advise fitting petrol springs to a diesel, they will most likely sag very quickly under the weight and cause some issues with weight transfer when cornering.

Like I say I am no surf expert, that is motortrade experience of general cars, I`m sure someone else will be along with a lot more experience with surfs and it may transpire they all run the same springs.

Comment

Thanks for weighing in! I wonder what the weight difference between the 1kz-te (iron block, aluminum head I4) vs. the 3.4L V6 (not sure, is this an aluminum block and heads?) works out to? As far as I know, they all use the same springs, but I'm no expert either.

Comment

Second thought, the front diff is classed as sprung weight on a surf and will add to the overall weight as generally diesel diff`s are a lot heavier to cope with the extra torque.

I`m guessing the springs you are getting are from a petrol and yours is a diesel? If so I would hold off fitting until someone with a bit more surf knowledge comes along.

John

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
          Second thought, the front diff is classed as sprung weight on a surf and will add to the overall weight as generally diesel diff`s are a lot heavier to cope with the extra torque.

I`m guessing the springs you are getting are from a petrol and yours is a diesel? If so I would hold off fitting until someone with a bit more surf knowledge comes along.

John
          Tranny and diffs are all the same as the petrol versions, so I don't think that will make any difference.

Comment

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Comment

Well I treated it like a 4runner, so the "driver side" spring went on the left, and it seems to have worked out nicely, everything sitting even. I only got about 1/2-3/4" lift out of them, but my tires no longer rub on the fender liners, so it's worth it in my books.

Comment

Working...
              X