Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Radiator -

Hello fellow Surfers.

Unfortunately my first post is not about how cool my new ride is. It is cool, or would be under other circumstances.

So I just bought a Surf, it is a 1994 3L TD. I picked it up from an import dealer in Vancouver and drove it home yesterday. Since I have been lurking here for a while, I knew about the cooling issues these sometimes have so on the hour and half drive home I kept my eye on the temp gauge to make sure everything was OK. It stayed at about half the whole drive.

When I got home I popped open the hood and noticed that the rad was leaking out of the top in atleast a few small spots. Coolant had pooled up where the hood rests. This worried me. I called up the dealer and he picked it up and said its just a leaky rad and they are fixing it. However, Before he picked it up I checked for all the common signs of a blown head gasket which is what really scares me.

So I checked for creamy residue on oil cap, there was none. Checked for coolant on dipstick, found none. Checked for white smoke, did not observe any. Then I checked for bubbles in my rad and this is what I saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wbh9Y4xUAo

Please let me know if you think this may be a head gasket or cracked cylinder head or if it could be something else. Thankyou!

Hello mate and welcome. My advice. Would be to get the dealer to pressure test or sniff test the system while they have it. Tell them your concerns ans if need be and if your not happy give them the truck back and ask for the money back. Cant seem to open the you tube on my phone so i cant see the bubbles
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Good news! Not a cracked head gasket. Bad news. They repaired the radiator with some plastic welding of some sort. Lasted all of about 25 minutes. I will be on them to replace with a new one tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X