Rusty Bumper Filling Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Bumper Filling Guide

I'm no expert and this is not an expert's guide (others can jump in and improve on it) but this is how I fixed my rear bumpers, which seems like a common problem. As a numpty, I have been very grateful of some of the guides and help on this site, since I bought the surf in November. Fellow numpties may like this guide, which is well within our numpty skill level – have a go.

IMAG0015 by ed_silvester, on Flickr]

You'll need:
    tools: 10mm socket, 12mm socket, long reach extension socket. Electric sander. Caustic paper and soft grades 60 and 120 grit. Grinder with metal cutting wheel. Steel brush. Hose or power hose.

Fillers: Isopon P40 tub and P38 tube. Isopon Aluminium mesh
    Paints: Primer 1x tin and top coats. I used http://www.plastidip.co.uk/ (I love the matt finish but I don't know how durable it will be. time will tell. ) 1x 750ml tin. 1x spray can hammerite

Total cost approx £50.

Time 1.5 days.

Taking off the bumpers is easy. Start with the mudguards. Note for later that one of the 10mm nuts is different from the others. The plastic strip comes off the rear step by squeezing the tabs under the step and lifting it away. Note that the top screws (that you can see me unscrewing) do not need to be undone.

IMAG0016 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

Remove the side bumper bolts and it lifts away. The rear bumper brackets unbolts under the floor. There's a cunning hook that prevents the bumper just falling to the floor as you remove the bolt, so you can do this job on your own.

Brush of the rust on the inside of the bumpers with a wire brush. More holes may appear! Rust patches are better off removed so don't fret if your bumper looks considerably worse now.

IMAG0019 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

If you have a power hose, use it to blow out the rust dust. Yes, more holes may appear....

Next, the edges of the rust holes will need tidying up. The edges, under the chrome are completely shot and will need removing. An angle grinder will get rid of this in a few seconds. Its quite clear when you're on good metal again. Go around the hole until all the rust has gone. Safety first!

IMAG0026 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

Hammeright the insides of the bumpers.

IMAG0022 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

Cut some Ally mesh to cover the inside of a hole. Make up some Isopon 40. About a golf ball to 3 peas of hardener. And smear around the sides of one of the holes and use it to glue down the mesh.

IMAG0027 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

Leave for about an hour to harden off. Cover the rear of the mesh with filler and leave again to harden.

You now have a nice hard surface to fill against. Fill to the top with a flat spatula (supplied with the isopon) Don't worry about being too smooth but the better you can do it the easier the sanding stage.

IMAG0031 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

Once hardened, sand to smooth. If you have some dents and marks then fill with P38 and leave to harden.

IMAG0033 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

Wet the filler and sand with grit 60 paper. Wrap the paper around a sanding block and polish up the filler so when you run your finger from chrome to filler you can't feel the difference.

Prime the surfaces and paint as many coats as you need to to get your desired effect.

IMAG0035 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

IMAG0036 by ed_silvester, on Flickr

IMAG0037 by ed_silvester, on Flickr
    Last edited by Esilvester; 12 June 2011, 23:02.

Great write up!! I keep looking at my rusting bumps and just cant get myself motivated to invest in a new pair ....yours look good in the dull grey black.

Comment

excellent home repair.

you may find they will blister again when you get them wet in the bad weather.

the p40 glass filler doesn't make a perfect seal on steel panels.

i do stuff like this on a daily basis and the best way is to braze up the holes using tin plate. to save money you could prepare the bumpers and have the tin patches shaped and ready. any friendly body shop could do the brazing in about 1 hour. still a cheap fix and it'll last a bit longer.

the chrome should really be removed before brazing and paint as well.

Comment

I had to google brazing.... Sounds like a better way to go. I think when these fail next, it will be time for a new set. But, to be honest, when I had the bumpers off I thought it looked even better.....!

Comment

Working...
        X