raising 2nd gen fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising 2nd gen fuel tank

After 3 1/2" suspension lift, 2" body lift and fitting 33x12.50 general grabber AT2's on 15x10 deep dish alloys, i think my truck looks great. There's just one thing i dont like, I can see way to much of the fuel tank and gaurd.
    Can the tank be raised 2", the same as the body lift?. Has this mod been
    attempted before?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s I have used the search function to no avail, thinking it
    cant (i hate that word) be done.
    Still on a mission.

Not without modifying the tank as the upper suspension arm mount gets in the way. Or get a custom tank made and weld in new mounts for it.

How did you get a 3 1/2" lift on the front suspension ?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, think i'll source a spare fuel tank to play with.

To achieve a 3 1/2" lift on my IFS, I fitted +2" shocks, OME uprated torsion
      bars and 2" ball joint spacers. I dropped the diff and ARB 1 1/4", i had to
      play with the downpipe at this point to clear the propshaft. I removed the
      exhaust mount from the transmission crossmember and heated the downpipe
      in a couple of places and pulled and twisted untill i had about 1/2" clearance,
      i then refitted the mount. I also found the cvs where binding on full suspension droop so i made up some spacers for the UCA bump stops to limit the downtravel. I will be fitting manual hubs tonight, if they arrive today, to protect my cvs and boots. I then adjusted the TBs until i had 455mm between
      top of the wheel rim and the underside of the arch to match the rear.
      Still on a mission.

Comment

Blimey! - I didn't think much over 2" was possible on the ifs.. Well done on doing the bumpstops etc to make it work properly.

You're bottom arms must look like this though ? / \

Rob.

Comment

If your spare wheel is mounted on the tailgate, get an alloy tank made to fit under the rear floor area.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Blimey! - I didn't think much over 2" was possible on the ifs.. Well done on doing the bumpstops etc to make it work properly.

You're bottom arms must look like this though ? / \

Rob.
            No, not at all, they look pretty much the same angle as the upper arms,
            if anything only slightly steeper.

Couple of pic's showing angle's of control arms.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bazcam; 11 June 2011, 07:47.
            Still on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              If your spare wheel is mounted on the tailgate, get an alloy tank made to fit under the rear floor area.
              Thanks for your reply. I think i'll find a spare tank to play with first,
              see how i get on.
              Still on a mission.

Comment

Working...
              X