2nd gen - lots of free play in steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gen - lots of free play in steering

i picked up a 2nd gen 3.0td surf yesterday, it drives well however there is a lot of play in the steering and if feels like many other i have had where i just had to adjust the steering box, is this the case on the surf and is there a wite upon this anywhere?
    2nd Gen 3.0td, running on waste veg oil

It can be adjusted, but shouldn't need to be. Is everything else in the steering and suspension OK?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

ok matey ill have a check at the other suspension components as these need doing asap
      Last edited by Surf_MoFo; 29 May 2011, 21:51.

Comment

I'd be more inclined to think it was the balljoint or something. I'd also be disinclined to drive a 2 tonne truck with known suspension issues!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

ok thanks ill have a look at the balljoints tomorrow night
          Last edited by Surf_MoFo; 29 May 2011, 21:51.

Comment

check the steering arms running to wheels. before adjusting the box work from the wheels into it and on the steering shaft from steering wheel. do the box last as if its play on one wheel and you adjust the box it will bugger the tracking something cronic.

Comment

The box adjusts just like any other, the locknut and screw on the top, but like any other, once you start having to adjust it, its normally worn out will need replacing or rebuilding. I've never had to mess with a worn steering box in all the Surfs I've worked on over the years. It's not something that normally is a problem, they normally just leak a little when old.

Had to do on my 81' Pickup every year for MOT's though.

Idler arm is a usual wear point on Surfs, check for play in that as well.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X