PS Fluid during a Gearbox swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS Fluid during a Gearbox swap

I'm currently 'negotiating' the release of my truck after a major gearbox saga. I've appropriated a copy of the invoice and noted that there is a charge for Power Steering Fluid (separate from the ATF) on it, does removing the gearbox interfere with the PS system?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Not at all.
    It uses the same fluid though.
    Hello by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Not at all.
      It uses the same fluid though.
      Hello by the way.
      There are 2 distinct charges on the invoice, one for 3L of PS fluid and one for 14L of ATF. Toyota PS fluid is £11.40 per litre, their standard ATF is £5.61 per litre.

Hello to you too

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        There are 2 distinct charges on the invoice, one for 3L of PS fluid and one for 14L of ATF. Toyota PS fluid is £11.40 per litre, their standard ATF is £5.61 per litre.

Hello to you too

Well for a start thats B/S on the Toyota P/S fluid, even Lexus type IV is cheaper than that @ £9 per litre and that's supposed to be the best.
        Standard Toyota fluid is cheaper than that too if you were to go into a dealer and buy it over the counter.

It only takes only around 7 litres to fill an empty transmission anyway, including the torque converter.

Comment

It only takes only around 7 litres to fill an empty transmission anyway, including the torque converter.
          I was trying to find a definitive answer to that question. I've seen it range from 4.5-16 liters. If they're charging me for 14, that suggests they charged me for the original fill plus the re-fill after they (seemingly/allegedly) broke it.
          Last edited by Albannach; 11 May 2011, 22:04.

Comment

I was trying to find a definative answer to that question. I've seen it range from 4.5-16 litres. If they're charging me for 14, that suggests they charged me for the original fill plus the re-fill after they (seemingly/allegedly) broke it.

Well when I re-fill these Lexus 'boxes (basically the same as the Surf's) after a complete drain down to clean the filters inside, they take approximately 6.5 litres.
            I guess they've charged you for the 'two bucket' method.

Comment

Nah, the gearbox and TC have been 'remanufactured' Totally stripped, all the clutches replaced, new solenoids fitted, pumps, seals and bearings all checked and replaced if needed. The TC has been opened up and rebuilt too. Apparently...

Comment

Nah, the gearbox and TC have been 'remanufactured' Totally stripped, all the clutches replaced, new solenoids fitted, pumps, seals and bearings all checked and replaced if needed. The TC has been opened up and rebuilt too. Apparently...

They cut open the T/C and re-welded it, what for? There's not much in there that can 'go wrong'.

I hope they're supply a lifetime guarantee with what is effectively a new transmission.

Comment

They cut open the T/C and re-welded it, what for? There's not much in there that can 'go wrong'.

I hope they're supply a lifetime guarantee with what is effectively a new transmission.
                  No idea why, but they do http://www.mackie-transmission.com/torqueconverters.htm

Only a 1 year warranty, but I can't see anything going wrong with it after a year's use. It would fail pretty quickly if it were faulty.

Comment

Hello to you too
                    What Andy, that's outrageous prices ...........
                    Welcome home .....
                    I pay around £15.60 @ 5 litre container for ATF (Dextron 2)
                    = to just over £3 a litre from my local Motorfactors ....
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                    X