Speedo sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo sticking

The needle on my speedo gauge always sits about 10 MPH when the vehicle is not going. When I am driving it it fluctuates beteen 20 ~ 30 MPH even though I know I am doing over that speed. When I then stop speedo stays at this mark. If I then bang the top of the dash with my fist (not a violent person honest) it drops back to 10 MPH. Any ideas what is causing this before I start ripping things apart. Is it most likely to be the actual speedo or could it be the sensor from gear box ?

Originally posted by BUZZ
    The needle on my speedo gauge always sits about 10 MPH when the vehicle is not going. When I am driving it it fluctuates beteen 20 ~ 30 MPH even though I know I am doing over that speed. When I then stop speedo stays at this mark. If I then bang the top of the dash with my fist (not a violent person honest) it drops back to 10 MPH. Any ideas what is causing this before I start ripping things apart. Is it most likely to be the actual speedo or could it be the sensor from gear box ?
    Is this a recent occurance ie previously ok or has it always been like this?

Is it the original Kph gauge, or a replacement Mph one? If its a replacement one porr fit or fitting could cause interference with the needle resulting in symptoms such as you describe.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Always been like this since getting it so I don't know if its original Kph gauge or a replacement Mph one. Looks like it could be poor fitting, problably best if I dismantle dash and have a look - doesn't really bother me but I suppose the "Bottles and Stoppers" would view it differently...

Comment

Originally posted by BUZZ
        Always been like this since getting it so I don't know if its original Kph gauge or a replacement Mph one. Looks like it could be poor fitting, problably best if I dismantle dash and have a look - doesn't really bother me but I suppose the "Bottles and Stoppers" would view it differently...
        Easy enough to tell if its the original, as the Surfs are all imports the speedo is in kph, if its in mph then it must have been replaced. It will show clearly on the face whether it reads in Kilometers or Miles
        Maurice

Comment

Sounds like the cable is not properly connected to the speedo.

Comment

sticking speedo

Had my surf ssrx transferred from kmph to mph. and the garage fitted a mechanical convertor (whatever that is) Recently had the car and I love it. Problem is the garage who did it for me has gone bust and my speedo goes up to 40mph and stays there even though I'm doing around 70mph. When I slow down and stop the needle comes down normally back to zero. being a thick plumber can any of you guys help on this.

Cheers

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by yungjamie
              Had my surf ssrx transferred from kmph to mph. and the garage fitted a mechanical convertor (whatever that is) Recently had the car and I love it. Problem is the garage who did it for me has gone bust and my speedo goes up to 40mph and stays there even though I'm doing around 70mph. When I slow down and stop the needle comes down normally back to zero. being a thick plumber can any of you guys help on this.

Cheers

Jamie
              A little more info please;
              Did it initially work OK?
              Did they also change the face (ie does it now have mph printed on it rather than the original kph)?
              Even though the needle fails to rise properly, is the odometer continuing to count up correctly?
              Any chance of a clue as to what year of a Surf we're refering to?

If you put your vehicle details into your profile, they will show up on the left, this will help ensure you recieve assistance most relevant to your particular vehicle.
              Maurice

Comment

I would assume as a mechanical convertor was used, it would have been fitted via the gearbox and would say you have a 2LT (don't think you can fit them on the 2LTE as its electronic). I would get the convertor checked, the are relatively cheap things, may be its not fitted correctly or come loose.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

stickin speedo

I don't know if the speedo was working okay in kmph as the garage picked it up for me which I bought at auction and they did the conversion. The speedo now says mph. It goes up to 40mph and then stops there. It comes down okay from 40 to zero. One thing, the speedo is stuck on 69,999. The trip digit works okay. My car is a 93 ssrx 2.4. Love her to bits but it's just the problem with the speedo.

Cheers

Jamie

Comment

Working...
                  X