Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating 3.0 td surf on motorway journeys

Hi all,

i could really use some sound advice on my 2nd gen surf. its 1995 3.0 td. It runs fine running around the town but on the motorway if i push it to 70mph or 75mph the temp starts to rise to just below the red. If i slow down to 55mph it cools to halfway. It has done approx. 87000 miles, the head was replaced along with the water pump and radiator at approx. 65000 miles by the previous owner, the receipts are in with the history. Is it possible the head is cracked again ?? Or could it be something simpler?
    There is no sign of oil in the water or water in the oil and im not losing any water from the cooling system, the levels are fine, oil and water. There is no smoke bellowing out, none at all. I can leave the engine running and the vehicle standing and there is no overheating, fans seem to be ok. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

change the transmission fluid and the rad cap, it might be worth draining it and flushing it through. it might be airlocked.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Not saying it's related, BUT...

Mine did that from the day I bought it - anything over 75 and the temp would climb very quickly.

It blew its head shortly after.

Now, either the damage was already done, or the blown head was a sympton of the overheating.

New head, no issues. Yet to see the temp guage move....

Just my observations, no conclusions...
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Is there any "furniture" in front of the grille ? Spotlamps, number plates etc, impeding airflow. With a new water pump and rad you should have sufficient water flow to stay cool provided theres enough flow of the other fluid ( air) to do the cooling.
        Сви можемо

Comment

A 3.0 head going that young would suggest to me that cooling system maintenance probably wasn't high on the list of the original owner's priorities.

Personally I'd have the rad off for a good flushing, and checking the external fins aren't clogged with cr@p. The original head went for a reason...

This is in addition to Bogus' advice.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Check the viscous fan. It should be nice and loose when cold (engine NOT running!!) and when the engine warms up, it should be tight to turn (again, engine off!)

Comment

3.0 td overheating on motorway journeys

Hi all,

Just to say thanks for the advice, im going to flush it through, change the fluids, rad cap, thermostat and check the viscous fan operation and my radiator for a build up of local vegetation !! if its still doing it after that does anybody want to buy a cheap surf with minor overheating problems haha

Thanks again ill let you all know the outcome

Comment

Change the thermostat for a Prado one. They run cooler. Toyota part no. 90916-03121

Comment

Mine had exactly the same symptoms when I bought it last year. My advice is similar to others really. I'd bet you have a semi blocked rad or the fan needs a refurb. Maybe both.

I ended up doing it all and put in a new rad, re doing the oil in the fan, changing thermostat, flushing coolant and changing atf fluid. It was only after the fan refurb and rad change that symptoms went away. Been perfect ever since so overheating problems don't always have to lead to a cracked head! Just deal with it early.

Comment

Any chance of a little more advice......... please !!

Thanks again guys, ive just been cleaning the radiator and taking another look at the surf and noticed something i hadnt noticed before, there is a smaller radiator in front of the main rad, is this just for the aircon or does it serve any other purpose?? its split in two !! its knackered !! will this be having anything to do with my problem??

Thanks for all the advice so far anyway, just waiting for a spare day and a bit of spare cash and me and the toolbox will be on the driveway looking like i know what im doing !!
                    Last edited by DEANLEE; 7 May 2011, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by DEANLEE View Post
                      Thanks again guys, ive just been cleaning the radiator and taking another look at the surf and noticed something i hadnt noticed before, there is a smaller radiator in front of the main rad, is this just for the aircon or does it serve any other purpose?? its split in two !! its knackered !! will this be having anything to do with my problem??

Thanks for all the advice so far anyway, just waiting for a spare day and a bit of spare cash and me and the toolbox will be on the driveway looking like i know what im doing !!
                      It's either the aircon (if it looks factory fitted) or you have an additional aftermarket trans cooler

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Plug View Post
                        It's either the aircon (if it looks factory fitted) or you have an additional aftermarket trans cooler
                        If its an aftermarket tranny cooler and its split in 2 I dont think this surf would be going anywhere as it would not have any ATF.
                        Its your A/C rad and if its split, then clearly your a/c gas has gone and you have no a/c. I cant see how it would cause youre particular issue, but I suppose its an obstruction of sorts, now that is doing nothing. So bin it. I doubt it will change anything. but as they say Every little helps.
                        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                          If its an aftermarket tranny cooler and its split in 2 I dont think this surf would be going anywhere as it would not have any ATF.
                          True but could have split and been disconnected....

Comment

Working...
                          X