rear axle oil seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axle oil seals

just wondered if anyone had changed there own hub oil seals ,,,i got a k reg ln 130 2.4 auto and noticed a pool of oil next to me rear wheel this morning ,,had a quick look and smell its deffo diff oil and its coming from inside the drum....any ideas how easy???

Not easy on a 2nd gen.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

had a look at a spare half shaft i had kicking about lol and the back plate will not seperate from shaft,,and yes i did remove retaining clip...lol

Comment

The backplate comes off with the bearing. It's pointless replacing the seal on its own, all the seals (3), the bearing and the retainers should be replaced at the same time.

I looked at it and didn't fancy doing it myself. The garage I took it to to be done, vowed they'd never do them on a Surf again.

search on here or the Australian site for 'shady tree' (Could be 'shade tree').

Comment

well took the spare rear shaft and backplate assemblys to work to see how easy a job it would be ,,,and with the right press ing tool it popped straight out lol ,,..

Comment

I take it you're not re-using the backplates?

Comment

no lol these were just rusty bits i had lying around to practise on lol new seals in post so will fit as soon as they arrive ,...

Comment

frikkin 'ell...

hehe..
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just done one today, they're a doddle with the right tools! Hour and a half from start to finish

Remove half shaft (4 bolts, brake pipe and disconnect handbrake cable)

Remove the circlip from the edge of the collar. We cut the collar off with a grinder as you replace these. Just be careful not to gut the shaft. Once the collar is removed, knock out the 4 studs with a copper hammer, this then gives you room to get in behind the backplate with a suitable bearing puller, such as this one.

With this you clamp under the bearing case and with the extender bolts in the bearing kit you build the puller up to the height of the half shaft so that the hydraulic part of the puller pushes down on the shaft, pulling the bearing up.
                  Once the whole bearing and case is off, knock out the bearing with a hammer, fit new bearing in the case, fit the new outer seal and knock the bearing back onto the shaft, using a long piece of heavy tube. (Scaffold pipe is ideal in weight and size) Once the bearing is fitted, knock the new collar onto the shaft, upto the bearing using the scaffold tube. Fit the circlip and put the 4 studs into the backplate and bearing case. You can now fit the new inner seal in the axle. Once complete, put the halfshaft back into the axle, being careful not to let the halfshaft rest on the inner seal. Tighten up, refit the brakes, pipe and cable and top up the diff oil.

Done

If I get chance, I'll take a couple of pics the next time I do one and do a quick tutorial.

Comment

Nice job doing it yourself, not sure I would want to pay £90 for the tool when I can get em pressed at local garage for £30 though. fitted properly they should last a long time.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                    X