Wierd spare wheel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd spare wheel issue

In my manual it says that with smaller (205) tyres the spare lowering handle goes straight in, but with the 235's it goes in at about 45°

My car has the 235's and yes the lowering mechanism is on a 45° from center, all good so far .... but.

My bumper has a guide that won't let the bar do the 45° angle just straight!

The rear bumper looks suspiciously clean so I think it's got the wrong type of bumper fitted, so unless I'm mad time to remove the rear bumper and reshape the guide plate with an angle grinder.

Or have I missed something?

Thank you

My rear tyres are 235's. I managed to get the spare down ok through the guide plate. It was at a bit of an angle but not a prob.
    It's only kinky the first time...

Comment

I thought a 265/70 tyre was standard ? (is your truck a narrow body ?)

Anyway the '45 degree' one you have to push in straight about 3" then move your hand to the right to find the guide. It's a crap system imo and I'm going to make a 'socket' that fits the winder properly and use a 1/2" ratchet on it.

I think your bumper has probably been replaced with the 'straight on' type tbh.

Comment

Yes 265 is for us (sorry don't know where 235 came from) but my manual is I think an Oz on where it has the straight wheel release in the tube for 205 tyres.

I'll fiddle a bit then if no luck get going with the angle grinder.

No way to reach winder like this:

Last edited by Ploddit; 22 March 2011, 09:00.

Comment

angled type on my old bumper.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks wishbone.

Well mine has the wrong bumper so out comes the angle grinder, and I'll put one of those cloclwork wind up torches in the tool box....

Rather I found out now than later though.

Comment

Working...
            X