Oil/fuel filter change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil/fuel filter change

Just come up with a good idea for changing filters.

And yes its probably been on here before but I havent seen it ,so there.

When changing a filter,grab 4 old jubilee clips,maybe 3 or 5 depending on their size ,open them up completely and flatten with a hammer or suchlike,fasten together end to end(male to female for the mechanically challenged).Wrap them round the new filter and join last two ends,take up the slack and install filter,the next time you remove the filter it should be easily removable with the minimum amount of force,(i.e. no need for filter wrench).That bit of tubing under the oil filter housing I replaced with a longer bit so it fits in a pop bottle or similiar and hence no drips on drive.

Good idea eh what!!

Alan

I remove and install filters by hand. If you can't do that then you have them too tight.

Nev

Comment

Filters

Neville,I would hate to disagree with a nice man from down under,so please tell me how come Halfords and the like sell umpteen different types of filter removal tool,be it chain, strap ,clamp or vice in models to fit socket sets,or even with their own handles fitted to them.Its because not everybody is strong enough or has the required grip (at a funny angle given the height of a Surf wing/bonnet shut plate) to remove a filter by hand.Two local car spares shops hire them out to the general public.Even the much maligned Haynes manual shows one being used to remove a fuel filter.
      I would assume its because when you buy a vehicle you dont know who,or even how the filters have been fitted to the vehicles,or what force has been applied, hence the market for filter removal appliances.I have over the years aquired three,but now no longer need them due to my little filter removel idea,so they sit,unloved and unwanted in a drawer somewhere.Doing my fuel filter today even I began to feel the strain,apart from it being in an awkward spot behind those two pipes,I am 58 now and not as good as I once was(I am however as good once as ever I was)so bear with us woopys
      Not everybody that drives a Surf may be as strong as you or I,and my little idea costs very little,doesnt involve much work and best of all it WORKS,what more can anyone ask for.
      As an aside,when I sent this idea into a " Practical Classics " type magazine FORTY years ago I won a prize,a good quality spanner set which I still have and use to this day,anyway enough of this jollity, Regards to all in OZ,Alan

Comment

You've just reminded me to replace that little pipe as it too short, cheers.

Oh & i do my filters by hand & im 2 stone wet through.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Oil/fuel filters

Yes Simon,but your from Yorkshire

Comment

If a filter has been fitted correctly, it can be easily removed by hand. Removal tools are only required if someone has incorrectly fitted the filter.
            Last edited by Albannach; 18 March 2011, 09:33.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              If a filter has been fitted correctly, it can be easily removed by hand. Removal tools are only required if someone has incorrectly fitted the filter.
              Is there a place we can report these individuals?
              I always tighten my filter by hammering a screwdriver through it.
              I then have to immediately change it because it is leaking, for this I use a filter removal tool.
              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                That's about it. It's not about strength or anything like that. It's all about correct fitting. BTW, I am only 56KG dripping wet and also pushing 58. Install the filter and only tighten about a half turn, after the o-ring has seated. It's just a matter of feel and you know exactly how much to tighten them after you have done a few. If in doubt, check after the vehicle has been driven, just to make sure there are no leaks.

Nev

Comment

Once and only once I had my old Golf 'professionally' serviced.
                  My next service I couldn't get the filter off at all, eventually had to tear it to bits.

Verdict: Guy hadn't oiled O ring and tightened it like an ape.

But many pro's don't want any risks of leaks or things undoing (and being sued) so over tighten, but we who know a bit can run the risk of something needing a tighten later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
                    But many pro's don't want any risks of leaks or things undoing (and being sued) so over tighten
                    Which can also cause a filter to come apart at the seams.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                    X