Is there a how to for this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a how to for this??

Hi there, I'm having trouble with my rear brakes on my 3rd gen surf.

It failed the MOT because one side was braking before the other on the rear, so i stripped the rear brakes last night, stripping a few of the teeth off the adjuster wheel thing in the process, (Will need to buy a new one i reckon!), but i was just wondering if anyone had done a write up on the correct way of removing the rear drums, and how to change the brake shoes, or brake cylinder etc?

Anyone know where i can buy a set of those adjuster cogs too?? plus the rubber bung for the hole, cos it was missing, Roughtrax dont do them.

Thanks in advance!

CURLY

thinkits thesameas the second gen, there used to be a write up on here with pics, one of the breakers might have a self adjuster
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

removal

the drums have self tighteners inside that work on a ratchet system, the rubber bung is there so u can adjust a lot if its needed, i think, i had a nightmare getting mine off as the drums had a lip on them and i couldnt get the drums over the shoes, after hours of banging and mashing up the adjuster i got them off, the cylinder is just 2 bolts for removal but u have to take the shoes off first to get at it, if u can squeeze the flexi brake line to stop ur brake fluid draining in the process it helps, my self adjuster is no more but whenever the mot is due i adjust them by hand to get it through....
      ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

Back in the day, when i had a mini, a real mini that is. i used to have the same problem. It was air sticking in the pipe, just couldn`t bleed it out the traditional way so i got this gadget called easy bleed
        It was a bottle with two pipes coming out the top,fill the bottle with fluid one pipe you connected to the top of the Reservoir the other to the tyre, undo the bleed nipple and fluid came spurting out under serious pressure. Worked every time. dunno if it would work on these new fangled machines tho, cant see why not

Comment

Nice one thanks guys. I stripped a load of the teeth off the adjuster when I tried getting it off, so had to get a new one. Drum brakes suck, they are the only thing that let's it down in my opinion. I wish they did a disc conversion for the surf.

It only needed adjusting to pass the MOT in the end, and it cost me over £200 to find that out.

You live and learn I guess!

Comment

Working...
          X