• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tailgate window runner removal?

Hoping somebody can help me.

I have search the forums but am still not clear how best to
    a) remove the rear tailgate window runners
    and
    b) FIX the new ones (which I can get thanskto info on the forum)

Has anybody done this who can give me some detailed advice please?

Thx
    Pete
    1989 LN130 2.4TD 5psd man
    Mk1 - drop down tailgate

Its gripped to the window by a rubber strip, it just pulls off. Everything needs to be uber clean and dry when you push/knock new one back on or it may slip off in time.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      Its gripped to the window by a rubber strip, it just pulls off. Everything needs to be uber clean and dry when you push/knock new one back on or it may slip off in time.
      Thanks TonyN
      The problem I have is how to get it off...Molegrips? Cold Chisel? Do I use WD40 or some other liquid to loosen it?
      It seems well stuck on there...just wondering if anybody else has done it. I have visions of the glass cracking if I get this wrong...

Comment

How to remove and replace rear window runners

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        Thanks for that advice - really helped. I wish I could have taken pics to show the forum but didn't have camera. So for what its worth, here's my small contribution...

HOW TO REMOVE Rear Window Runners
        PART ONE

MEASAURE the position of each runner BEFORE you start (I did a little diagram) so you know where to position new runners.

1. Take sharp thin craft knife and slice between glass and rubber. As you slice the rubber will start to shred away. This will take a little time but WELL worth it. You can then start cutting across the rubber to remove pieces of it.
        2. Soak both sides of the runner between rubber and glass in WD40 and stand glass upright. Leave overnight.
        3. Next day slice rubber again, then resoak in WD40. You can still cut rubber off at this point - it helps

Now get an assistant to hold glass in almost vertical position. (I used cushions underneath to support glass and minimise any impact damage)

4. Put cloth under glass to protect, while assiastant holds glass almost vertical.
        5. Take large blade screwdriver and tap the end of the runner (nearest to the edge of glass)...it will move eventually - you don't have to be brutal. ONE tap at a time not bang bang bang

6. Once seal is broken runner will come off with continued & gentle tapping

7. Repeat for other side

Yep - I'm glad I went this route so far

PART TWO: Fitting new runners: (from Roughtrax)

To be continued...

Comment

Working...
        X