Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen changing front springs

mornin' all

new shocks & springs for all round arrived yesterday from Roughtrax. Planning to chage them over this weekend but even though i've done the rear springs & shocks before (dead easy) I've never touched the fronts.

Having had a quick look last night it looks easy enough but just wanted to check if my thinking is right for changing the front springs

1. jack up under suspension (to keep spring compressed)
    2. remove front wheel
    3. put another jack under front crossmember
    4. fit spring compressors
    5. lower jack under suspension
    6. remove spring
    7. fit spring compresors to new spring & reverse of the above

is that it or do I have to do anything else, do I have to remove the bottom shock bolt. Checked using teh search function but nearly all the info relates to the rear's and I'm OK with them

any advice would be appreciated before the "effing & jeffing" starts

ta

hawaii
    Last edited by Hawaii; 24 February 2011, 10:03. Reason: forgot to mention I have tried the search but not a lot relating to the fronts
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Remove the strut and do it on the bench, its far easier.

When you put it together take note of the position of the top bolts, they need to be in the right place to line up.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers Tony

sounds like a plan, overalls & spanners at the ready for Sturday morning

hawaii

Comment

job done - update

right, jb took all of saturday, the rears were dead easy but getting the front's back on was a bit of a pig.

You have to be really careful where you place the coil spring compressors on the new springs as there isn't a lot of room around the spring between teh strut & the mounting turrent

first one took 6 attempts with re-positioning the compressors each time and also figuring out how to get teh extra bit of flex in the wishbones to fit teh bottom strut bolt back in (top tip, lever down on the top wishbone not the bottom one as the rubber bump stops get in the way)

second one went on after only 2 attempts

truck now sits nearly 1" higher both front & rear and nicely level and the orange springs and red rear shocks look good under the arches - well chuffed

in 2 weeks we'll see how she fares with the caravan on

hawaii

Comment

Working...
        X