Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Release

Hi Guys,

I have a KZN185 and the electric boot release has been a little fickle for quite some time, often takes a few hits to release it. The door light on the dash dims when the switch is pressed, to the switch must be passing power. However I will by pass the switch and test.

The boot isn't even clicking when I used the switch, it used to even if it didn't open. Is there a way of getting to the mechanism or a manual release from inside so I can check it out?

I assume there is a small motor or something similar that activates the boot mechanism. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as not being able to get into my boot makes having a truck much less fun.

Cheers,

Rob

Open the boot on the key, then prise off the plastic trim. You can get at some of the mechanism that way.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks Apache, I have tried the key but doesn't have any effect :-(.

Comment

Electric boot release????

Comment

afternoon all

I'm assuming you mean the solenoid that releases the boot at the same time as all the other doors as part of the central locking.

Apart from this and the keyhole in the tailgate for raising & lowering the window I don't think there is anything else.

If this solenoid is what's sticking (what switch are you pressing on the dash, it's not the one for the rear window is it??) then you will need to remove the interior tailgate panel and free up the connecting rod betwen the lock and solenoid - if moisture has got in it will make the rod stick as it goes through 2 plastic guides that get gummed up - emery paper and a smear of copper grease should sort it

hope this helps

hawaii
          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the input, there is an electronic boot release. Not sure if it was a factory fit or after market. By the looks of it, most likely aftermarket.

Any ideas on how I can get the back panel on the tailgate off with the boot closed? Most of the other internal panels are all held together with clips etc, I am going to assume this is the same?

Any info on getting in there would be great.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Getting that panel off with the tailgate closed is an absolute bee-hatch! Try removing the inner rubber trim along the top of the panel, and forming a coat hanger to reach the area of the lock assembly, and then jiggling it for all you're worth!

My lock barrel broke off and fell inside the door, and I had to poke around to get it to open so I could get into the tailgate.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

good info :-)>

Sounds like a job for plenty of day light tomorrow!

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Its hard to tell what is going on as I can only see through the back of the rear window, removed the inner rubber now there is a gap where I can just about see down.

There is a metal cord that is snapped or not connected to anything, it is coming from what looks like a small motor which I guess is the solenoid? on the left hand side near the key hole. I thought I would turn the key to see if it showed me roughly where the issue was, however the key just controls the rear window.

I was working on the coat hanger idea however I have no idea what I am aiming for.

Any suggestions?

The inside back panel doesn't look like it wants to come off without braking.

Cheers,

Rob
                  Last edited by r08l1k3; 20 February 2011, 14:32.

Comment

Working...
                  X