Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission wind up

I'm sure this will have ben asked before but to save me a search:

Can you get transmission wind up in 4wd on a manual transmission?
    [color=darkorange]
    [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
    1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
    [/color]

Originally posted by malum
    I'm sure this will have ben asked before but to save me a search:

Can you get transmission wind up in 4wd on a manual transmission?
    #

Yes
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

shouldnt transmission windup be called transfer case windup, i reckon the gearbox transmission would survive

Comment

Jim, the weakest point is probably the CV joints. Especially the outer ones when steering.

T/case is pretty stong, along with the rear axles will take a healthy V8, front end is the problem

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

dont be remindin me bout CV's coz when Im back mobile they'll be next in line for a job . Boots and all are rotten and she clicks badly in 4wd. I know I'll fail the upcoming test on them but if I leave off the front driveshaft from the t'case why cant I argue that the front wheel drive is decommissioned

Tony I've finally gone and stuck up that old '86 pickup box and t'case. Its a bit longer and the rear driveshaft wasnt for mating until I took off the greas nipple and let the air out - tonnes of grease too but no problem with the length now

Only thing that really needs modifying is the crossmember, holes dont match up

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
            dont be remindin me bout CV's coz when Im back mobile they'll be next in line for a job . Boots and all are rotten and she clicks badly in 4wd. I know I'll fail the upcoming test on them but if I leave off the front driveshaft from the t'case why cant I argue that the front wheel drive is decommissioned

Tony I've finally gone and stuck up that old '86 pickup box and t'case. Its a bit longer and the rear driveshaft wasnt for mating until I took off the greas nipple and let the air out - tonnes of grease too but no problem with the length now

Only thing that really needs modifying is the crossmember, holes dont match up
            hehe, I've done that! the splines seal really good don't they! I had my prop on, pumped it with grease but when driving around, the rear was slamming really hard over holes and bumps. Turns out the prop could'nt compress cos of the grease in there!

How far out are the holes? I had to cut the original crossmember mounts off the chassis and weld new ones made from angle iron on about 3" further back whan fitting the V8 to the pick up.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              ...she clicks badly in 4wd. I know I'll fail the upcoming test on them but if I leave off the front driveshaft from the t'case why cant I argue that the front wheel drive is decommissioned....
              Don't think you really need to worry as the NCT test centres don't have facilities to test 4wd, all their test equipment is for 2 driven wheels only.
              I'm sure you could just pull the fuse or disconnect the switch if you're concerned rather that removing shafts.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                [color=darkorange]
                [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
                1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
                [/color]

Comment

Working...
                X