Shocks or springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks or springs?

The Surf has developed a nasty big clump noise when I drive over those horrible traffic calming humps. This only happens when I have people sitting in the back or a reasonably heavy load.
    There is no obvious sagging and there is no rolling on cornering, the suspension seems as stiff as it has always been.
    I am guessing this is buggered shock absorbers but could it be the springs or both?
    If it's the shocks, any recommendations for replacement, I am based S.France so they would have to be exported. I have no need for any additional lift - just standard is fine.
    Thanks
    Bob

It'll be the springs. My truck did the same even after re-newing the dampers, replaced the tired original springs and problem solved.
    The clunk you can feel is the rubber bumpstops in the middle of the springs hitting the axel. I don't know why Toyota thought they they needed to be so long!

Comment

mine recently broke one of the anti roll bar clamps, and that made a clunking noise on big bumps or when people in back too

could be that also??

Comment

Changed my rear shocks & springs the other week, one shock was shot anyway so I replaced them first & noticed a little difference but not much, then I changed the springs & noticed a big difference.

Got them from roughtrax.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=170&vid=1509

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=170&vid=966
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Why are Roughtrax springs twice the price of Milners,is it purely down to the 2" lift?

Comment

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
            Why are Roughtrax springs twice the price of Milners,is it purely down to the 2" lift?
            i had a set of 20% stronger springs from milners, lasted about 12 month then failed mot for broke spring so got a set from roughtrax a bit more expensive but are better quality also treated myself to a full set of desert fox shocks all +2" no hard/soft option but nice ride, this was 18 month ago, in my opinion all the gear is just better quality and some is genuine toyota, hope this sheds some light.
            15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

My clunking was the jack loose in its cubby hole.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by lawsy View Post
                mine recently broke one of the anti roll bar clamps, and that made a clunking noise on big bumps or when people in back too

could be that also??
                yup same here
                15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

It's not an ARB clamp. OP clearly states the truck doesn't roll!
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by geordie john View Post
                    i had a set of 20% stronger springs from milners, lasted about 12 month then failed mot for broke spring so got a set from roughtrax a bit more expensive but are better quality also treated myself to a full set of desert fox shocks all +2" no hard/soft option but nice ride, this was 18 month ago, in my opinion all the gear is just better quality and some is genuine toyota, hope this sheds some light.
                    Only just seen this, thanks for the info.

I have already ordered the springs from Milners, could be an error,let us wait and see.

Comment

A big thanks to everyone for your answers, all very useful.

So it's springs first and if that doesnt cure it, new shocks.

Thanks again for your time lads.

Bob

Comment

Had them fit today by a local garage, the owner does some serious off road 4x4 conversions. They seem ok, time will tell.

For the record.

He put a lifting strap around the towbar and took some weight off the suspension using an engine crane, disconnected the bottom of the shockers, disconnected the drop links and lifted the car. Bit of wiggling,kneeling on the rims,shimmying about and the old springs came out,fitted the new,put it all back together,total time about an hour. No spring compressors and the like were needed,didn`t even have to take the road wheels off.

Comment

Working...
                        X