Revs, gear loss and grey smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revs, gear loss and grey smoke

Driving locally last night and had the following problem (2.4 manual, 1990). While Idling at traffic lights, engine began to rev rhythmically. As I drove off and reached 4th gear, all accelerator power was lost (as if no fuel was getting to engine even with foot full on). Grey smoke started coming out the exhaust. Dropped to third gear and still no power. Dropped to second gear and the gears kicked in with high revs. Managed to make it home slowly going up to 4th gear but pretty noisy. Coolant was full but engine oil was a bit low so topped up. Any ideas how serious this is? I'm driving across Scotland tonight and don't fancy having to get rescued!

I go for the fuel filter. Has it been changed recently and if not then its time. Its mounted on the bulkhead at the top, on the RHS as you look into the e-bay.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      I go for the fuel filter. Has it been changed recently and if not then its time. Its mounted on the bulkhead at the top, on the RHS as you look into the e-bay.
      I'll second that, I've seen the effect blocked fuel filters have on some BIG tractors and its the same thing, black smoke, loss of power/revs/intermittent.
      Theres a water drain cock under the bulkhead filter, try that first but change the filter anyway, unlike an air filter you cannot see by eye that the fuel filter is blocked!
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Many thanks, will give it a go.

Comment

Working...
        X