Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0td smoking when idle

Hi all,

I am a happy owner of a late Mk2 Surf, bought it some month ago and was running/is running absolutely perfect.
    But with the normal nature of cars being drinkers my lovely Surf now has started smoking which I do not want to approve.
    Ok, starting the tank in the morning not a problem at all. Two turns and the engine is up and running. BUT when I stop as I did this morning at the railway station the tank switches into stealth mode covering itself in a real cloud of black smoke. Taking off again after some 100m behind me everything is clear again. Yesterday I wanted to fill up at the patrol station, stopped, switched off the engine, tried to open the tank flap, frozen so had to take off again after app 1min. After starting and slowly leaving I have left the whole patrol station in thick smoke! Few 100 meters all clear again. Apart from that there is nothing else to complain about, no funny noises, pulls as usual, MAYBE the idle is slightly too low.
    Oil is supposed to be SAE10/W40 changed app 1/2a ago, tank has run regular the last weekends min 100miles every Sat and Sun so would assume inside should be neat and clean. Only since beginning of this week I am commuting daily, one way app 2miles only. But smoking has started before already.

I have a fairly good knowledge about patrol engines but I have to admit Diesel is a bit alien to me.

Have checked several threads already but none pinpointed my symptoms. In case I have been blind please accept my appologies!

Grateful for your suggestions, thanks!

Drive careful!

The Hoffi

EGR valve, overfueling, glow plugs, injectors, rings, etc etc. H

Comment

Alright, that shows me that I have to do a traditional investigation.

Just the right weather to work outside! But at least a few days off and therefore some daylight to do so!

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Sounds more like valve stem seals to me.

Comment

If it's black smoke, then it's either over fuelling or the air filter needs replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hoffi View Post
            Hi all,

I am a happy owner of a late Mk2 Surf, bought it some month ago and was running/is running absolutely perfect.
            But with the normal nature of cars being drinkers my lovely Surf now has started smoking which I do not want to approve.
            Ok, starting the tank in the morning not a problem at all. Two turns and the engine is up and running. BUT when I stop as I did this morning at the railway station the tank switches into stealth mode covering itself in a real cloud of black smoke. Taking off again after some 100m behind me everything is clear again. Yesterday I wanted to fill up at the patrol station, stopped, switched off the engine, tried to open the tank flap, frozen so had to take off again after app 1min. After starting and slowly leaving I have left the whole patrol station in thick smoke! Few 100 meters all clear again. Apart from that there is nothing else to complain about, no funny noises, pulls as usual, MAYBE the idle is slightly too low.
            Oil is supposed to be SAE10/W40 changed app 1/2a ago, tank has run regular the last weekends min 100miles every Sat and Sun so would assume inside should be neat and clean. Only since beginning of this week I am commuting daily, one way app 2miles only. But smoking has started before already.

I have a fairly good knowledge about patrol engines but I have to admit Diesel is a bit alien to me.

Have checked several threads already but none pinpointed my symptoms. In case I have been blind please accept my appologies!

Grateful for your suggestions, thanks!

Drive careful!

The Hoffi
            where in surrey are you mate ?
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

egr valve ? blank it off if it isnt already ,if it cures it repost as it helps other members
              JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Correction

Hi all,

thanks ever so much for your replies!

I had today the opportunity to investigate a bit more. The situation is as follows:
                The smoke is finally blue (daylight REALLY is helpful) so I am hunting for engine oil. Sorry for the wrong indication at the start!
                Checking the oil level shows that it is slighly over max! That could (although I hope it doesn't) indicate that I get water or diesel into the engine oil. BUT I haven't done the service so that might be like this for longer already.
                Now to the occasions when the tank starts smoking:
                - Car stood over night, starts on turn of the key fine
                - light white smoke for the first 100 meters then nothing.
                - accelerating when warm -> no smoke
                - went to have a wash and needed to start and stop the engine several times -> BLUE SMOKE
                - left the car wash -> blue smoke for app 500m NOTHING more from then

So the engine is pressing motor oil into the zylinders when restarted while warm/when switching off the engine.......

Any idea how that is done? An odd hose that leaks when warm while extending? Any membrane arround there which could cause this?

@charvell: I am in the Staines area

Comment

Your tank is smoking?

Possible short circuit in the wiring from the sender, I would get it looked at a.s.a.p.!

Comment

Source wikipeadia: A tank is a tracked, armoured fighting vehicle designed for front-line combat which combines operational mobility and tactical offensive and defensive capabilities.

Comment

Hi all,

thanks ever so much for your replies!

I had today the opportunity to investigate a bit more. The situation is as follows:
                      The smoke is finally blue (daylight REALLY is helpful) so I am hunting for engine oil. Sorry for the wrong indication at the start!
                      Checking the oil level shows that it is slighly over max! That could (although I hope it doesn't) indicate that I get water or diesel into the engine oil. BUT I haven't done the service so that might be like this for longer already.
                      Now to the occasions when the tank starts smoking:
                      - Car stood over night, starts on turn of the key fine
                      - light white smoke for the first 100 meters then nothing.
                      - accelerating when warm -> no smoke
                      - went to have a wash and needed to start and stop the engine several times -> BLUE SMOKE
                      - left the car wash -> blue smoke for app 500m NOTHING more from then

So the engine is pressing motor oil into the zylinders when restarted while warm/when switching off the engine.......

Any idea how that is done? An odd hose that leaks when warm while extending? Any membrane arround there which could cause this?

@charvell: I am in the Staines area
                      turbo
                      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

@lord lucan: But wouldn't that then not happening all the time regardless of cold or warm?

Comment

@lord lucan: But wouldn't that then not happening all the time regardless of cold or warm?
                          Not necessarily mate, if the oils seals have gone on the turbo it'll be leaking into the housing while the car is switched off, when you next fire it up for the first few moments it's burning off the excess but while driving the amount being burnt it so minor in comparison that the smoke is almost un-noticable (in some cases). I don't know anything about Surf engines specifically but I do about turbos in general, if this is the case you need to swap/rebuild the turbo asap as if the bearing run dry and the turbo ejects it's guts it could possibly go the wrong way and lunch your engine

Comment

Also if you've been banging along and shut the truck off quick you'll get oil in the turbo, its best to let it idle for a minute or so before turning off so it all cools down proper. H

Comment

Originally posted by General Banter View Post
                              Not necessarily mate, if the oils seals have gone on the turbo it'll be leaking into the housing while the car is switched off, when you next fire it up for the first few moments it's burning off the excess but while driving the amount being burnt it so minor in comparison that the smoke is almost un-noticable (in some cases). I don't know anything about Surf engines specifically but I do about turbos in general, if this is the case you need to swap/rebuild the turbo asap as if the bearing run dry and the turbo ejects it's guts it could possibly go the wrong way and lunch your engine
                              Yes, this can happen. However shot valve stem seals will give the same symptoms. When you stop your engine, oil seeps down past the offending valve stem seal and sits on top of the piston. When you restart it burns off over a hundred metres or so, then all goes well, until you stop the engine again. Of course, the smoke will be a light blue colour.

It is difficult to diagnose whether valve stem seals are at fault, but if the exhaust manifold is dropped, traces of oil in the exhaust port of the particular cylinder can be an indicator. If the turbo is at fault, all ports might have oil traces. Valve stem seals CAN be replaced without removing the head on most petrol-engined vehicles if the right process is followed (let me know if you need guidance on this), but I haven't ever done it on a diesel engine, so unsure. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X